PDA

View Full Version : Software

coach
03-22-2008, 05:33 PM
I have part wizard and want to upgrade to partworks.
I know there is no instructional video yet.
Unfortunate for me but I am a show me kinda guy.
If I have to continually look things up on paper I will have a difficult time.
Anybody know when there may be a video?
Thanks, David

Gary Campbell
03-22-2008, 05:56 PM
David...
I fought the same things with my changeover to VCPro. I think the biggest problem is the difference in the look of the icons. Many of the features in the Vectric package are identical, some are more powerful, and there are more of them. If you have a basic working knowledge of parts wizard, then you shouldnt have a problem. If I can do it, so can you. Being profficient in the software just takes time. The earlier you start, the earlier you will be there. Go for it!
Gary

Brady Watson
03-22-2008, 06:01 PM
David,
I did the PW2 video a few years back. When SB made the transition from PW3 to PartWorks (Works for short...), several tutorials were included with the software. It was thought that these would be adequate for new users of the software, but in many cases, I am finding this not to be the case. Several PW2 & PW3 users who upgraded to Works have contacted me in recent weeks inquiring about a video for Works. It looks like there may be enough interest to create one at some point this year. My feeling is that if seasoned PW2/3 users are looking for a training video, then new users will surely want one as well. The video will be geared towards VCarve Pro & PartWorks2D alike, and cover material for both new & seasoned users of CNC routers. I'd like to expand on what was covered in the PW2 video & get into some practical applications & scenarios that make the most of the software & your CNC.

I am not clear yet whether a video on PartWorks3D/Cut3D is needed or not. Feedback on Works3D training & pointers on where you guys get stuck in Works2D would be helpful. Think of it as a wish list for training...

-B

coach
03-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Brady, Thanks.
I do not think I will upgrade until there is a tutorial. But my brother in Maine who visited me here in Fl. is on his way back to Maine and getting delivery of his bot in a few days or so.
He is really thinking of asking shop bot to let him get part wizard with the tutorial. He is stressing about learning the same way I would be.
What is your opinion of using wizard opposed to the new software?

Also,,,,,,,I know you did the video I have,,,,great job.

Brady Watson
03-23-2008, 01:02 AM
David,
Thanks for the positive comments.

PartWorks has many advanced features compared to PartWizard. I personally find the drawing tools and navigation in PartWizard to be a bit more fluid for speedy drawing, but that could be attributed to using ArtCAM Pro (same shortcut keys etc) for several years. Works2D has many similarities to PW2/3 in terms of shortcut keys and general functionality. The toolpaths are far superior to PW2/3, as well as a fantastic toolpath preview in a variety of materials. It's worth upgrading. You can keep running PW2 while you are learning Works2D so that you can still get your work done before you completely transition over to Works2D.

-B

bill1
03-23-2008, 07:12 AM
hi Brady,
I really think there are quite a few in the same boat (show me kind of guy) and don't like to admit it. Sure I can stumble around but will never get the full benefit of the programs so a instructional video and tutorial would be most welcome.
Bill.

pappybaynes
03-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Brady,
I would welcome a video tutorial as well.
Dick

ernie_balch
03-23-2008, 04:18 PM
Since partworks and Vcarve pro are identical just go to the www.vectric.com (http://www.vectric.com) website and view the tutorials.

Partworks 3d and Cut3d are also the same programs and you can download those tutorials as well.
ernie

Brady Watson
03-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Ernie,
You are correct. There are lots of tutorials etc via Vectric, as well as those included with PartWorks. Some people prefer live/moving training to static paper manuals or PDFs. While the videos that do exist are good, they leave a lot to be desired for new users who want something a bit more comprehensive. I've found that one group of people are different learners than another group.

-B