PDA

View Full Version : Directional Nesting Software

ryan_slaback
03-21-2008, 09:55 AM
Does anyone know if there is such a thing as directional nesting software? When making parts I often need certain parts to have a certain grain direction. Does anyone know of a nesting software that you can tell it a direction for the grain that it will align the vector to within a certain tolerance (say 15 to 20 degrees)?

gpari
03-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Most nesting software I have used keeps all the parts aligned the way you import them. Then it has options to allow for part rotation (if grain doesn't matter, specify 180 if grain does matter). You can also specify flips (mirror). I haven't seen any options for maximum rotation from start orientation (the rotation amount you specify is just an increment.)

Gabe

cip
03-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Try this one I used for a long time before Artcam
It uses length and width for grain direction but allows rotation if you want it to. Very inexpensive for what you get.

www.cutlistplus.com (http://www.cutlistplus.com)

jhicks
03-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Ryan, I have been using router cad for a while now for cabinet parts. It took us a while to get our head around the software but now weve got it. Its a screen to machine software with limited rendering capability but it does let you specify grain direction, automatically outputs nested sheets for the entire build for multiple sheets to a PDF file, dxf file, delivers a cut list, cabinet parts list, part number identifiers, and tool path in G code with the click of the mouse when you have all your construction standards and cabinet design ready to go.
Biggest time problem for us was learning it but every day we find new functionality to make things better and quicker as the parts library grows and is available to us for new designs.
Weve been using a 5mm bit to perform all operations for dados, shelf, slides and construction holes plus some unique features we incorporate.
No bit change ever.
Might want to explore it.