PDA

View Full Version : Accenting cabinet doors

myxpykalix
01-04-2007, 02:18 AM
I have some old cabinets in one of my apts that i want to take the doors down and carve some designs in like you see here. I mapped out my door size on a piece of mdf. I set it up to start 1/2" from edge. I screwed up and inset my 0,0 1/2" in on the material hence the overlapping you see. My question is what would be the best way to make these accents stand out?
The square is V carved to .25 and the corner accents are carved down to .10 .
The cabinets currently have polyureathane on them and that is a veneer front with a mdf core.

Can I take some type of stain and wipe on, then wipe off and it only remain in the cracks? I don't want this to be a big project like with paint masks and such just a sime way to accent the carving. Thanks

rcnewcomb
01-04-2007, 07:57 AM
Yes, the stain-wipe process will work.

A thicker, more gelatinous stain that is used for glazing will work even better.

Fine Woodworking had an article about glazing a few years back. (Issue #116)
(external link) Fine Woodworking: Glazes and Toners Add Color and Depth (http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/Materials/MaterialsPDF.aspx?id=2390)

myxpykalix
01-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Thank you

slayer
01-08-2007, 09:49 PM
Another idea you might like is sit down and paint the cracks with some sort of paint. you can always test it to see what you like.

myxpykalix
01-08-2007, 10:11 PM
NO NO NO NO NO....AND NO! There is not a job i hate worse than painting! I have no patience, no skill when it comes to doing something like that. Thats why i asked about slopping it on and rubbing it off to leave the stain in the cracks because my hands are not steady anymore. As my granddaughter says "I have the wiggles". Thanks tho, andy.

bill_l
01-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Jack,

I do this all the time. What works for me is to coat the blank first with "universal sanding sealer" (I'll get the correct name when I get home). Then I spray one coat of clear poly and let dry. Next day I carve and then wipe the stain on. It settles into the carved area and I wipe it off the finished surface. When dry, I sand back the entire surface and shoot it with two to three coats of clear.

If your cabinets already have finish on them then carve away and stain. You will however, probably need to finish with the same material that is already on the cabinets.

Bill

srwtlc
01-09-2007, 11:22 PM
One thing that I'd be careful about is the possibility of the stain sucking into the edge grain in the cut area and going under the finish. I have a clock dial that reminds me, often.

jamesgilliam
01-09-2007, 11:55 PM
Jack, Now hear me out on this. We do alot of v-carving and the way we get it to stand out is painting the groves. I know you said you don't like to paint, and I don't either, but if you use an acrylic paint and sand off the overage like we do they will look good, and these doors being already finished you may not need to sand, but just wipe off what is not in the cracks while the paint is still wet.

phil_o
01-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Have you tried using an airbrush to paint the grooves? I just got one but I haven't had time to do much with it yet.

thewoodcrafter
01-10-2007, 06:04 PM
We V-carve wood doors. I have found if we finish the door first it is easier to color the grooves.
We use a paste glaze, wipe it into the grooves, then wipe off the excess (cleans off easy because the wood has a good finish on it) and clear coat the whole thing.

phil_o
01-10-2007, 06:34 PM
What is a paste glaze and is it commonly available?

thewoodcrafter
01-10-2007, 08:32 PM
We use Mohawk heavy bodied glaze. Comes in quarts or gallons and 8 different colors.
Mix them together to get the color you want.
Any Mohawk dealer should carry it.