Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spray Room Exhaust Fan

Default Spray Room Exhaust Fan

Hello All:

I have a small (8'x24') spray finish room in my new shop building. There is a filtered air inlet from the main (workshop) part of the building.

I'm looking for a small exhaust fan to vent fumes to the outside. Would prefer if it could fit between two studs on 24" centers, and have a louvered vent.

Any ideas or suggestions? Definitely want something safe as I spray lacquer occasionally. This is for occasional use, not continuous commercial.

Gerald Martin

Grainger sells them, however they might be cheaper if you can find it elsewhere. They have smaller ones in 12", 18" etc.

Here is a link to 24" Grainger exhaust fan with shutter. Has fully enclosed motor which protects against explosions if you spray flammable products.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1HLB2

If the fumes are flammable, then you have to watch out for fans that blow the exhaust over the running motor. Automotive spray booth fans have the motor encased on the outside of the fan housing and spin the fan with a belt that is also enclosed.

It should also have non ferrous blades so if they get bent and scrape the side they don't cause sparks...

P99

If you spray flammable be sure to get an Explosion Proof Motor!!!
    DO not take chances.
    Any spark can create an explosion from the spray fumes,even if only used occasionally.
    It only takes on time.

Erminio

you can copy and paste this into your browser.
    in ebay looked for paint exhaust fan.
    you can put a motor on this if you can get it at reasonable price. check craigslist also.
    i always look for bargains because i do not have enough money for everything. but i do have a $4,000 bicycle so maybe i do not want to spend alot on exhaust. We bought a spray booth at auction fro $4,500. then had to put in fire suppression. had to run the tube out 6 ft from building for fire code. I could have got another good bicycle with all that money.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dayton-Tubeaxial...arms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1| 294%3A50#ebayphotohosting

after looking at the cfm range and price of the grainger, tools usa is a bit more expensive and this is a good bit more than i paid for some of these just 18 months ago,

http://www.toolsusa.com/asp/item_detail.asp?T1=PBE+9MS+LSD1633XVA20&am p;GENB=&UID=

Thanks for the input, everyone...

Grainger's fan looks alright but it is not rated as explosion proof, even though the motor is sealed...

http://www.industrialfansdirect.com/LFI-AX18-4.html

will I need to spend $700 to get something functional and safe?

Anyone?

Gerald

Or you could put the room under positive pressure so the air is forced out through the filters.

If the fan is across the room and not near where you are spraying, whether or not it is explosion-proof isn't very relevant. If a motor is brushless and has no contactors, there isn't going to be much of an opportunity for a spark to occur.

It is my understanding that a totally sealed motor is sufficient for use in spray booth. If the contents of spray booth is that explosive then gasketed and sealed fluorescent lights become a larger concern than the motor in the exhaust fan.

-Fred

look at ebay, and search "Multifan" there is a 20inch currently for sale. I'm using the 18" version and it works well, sealed motor, plastic blades, fiberglass shroud, lots of air movement, and rather quite. You can also get a speed controller. Grainger has specs and sells unit for more than 2x.s the buy it now price