Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Knock down kids chair prototype #1

AJ,

Looks great, thanks for posting. I particularly like the rocker.
    Nat Wheatley
    Plymouth Custom Closets
    www.plymouthcustomclosets.com

Andrew

Here's a table that sees constant use around here... as do several dozen I sold before the USA laws to protect us from harmful Chinese imports put all mom and pop manufacturers out of business! It' not KD except that the legs are bolted on with connector bolts

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by gundog View Post
    Those are cool can I ask how the seat is locked in place so it does not slide forward? It looks like if you built another tenon like the others you used for the back to slide into the seat it would lock in place and be held together by gravity. Maybe it is built that way and I just can't tell.

I like making stuff like this by using tenon type joinery and not using fasteners.

Mike
    Mike,
    The Baltic Birch I get is slightly oversize (12mm nominal). My cut outs are exactly 12mm on the drawing, and measured with vernier calipers, the Bot' cuts them exactly 12mm. After I cut out the parts (I am using a down spiral 1/4" bit in two passes currently) I pass them through my wide belt sander one pass each side. It is very accurate, you can sand easily to within a few thousands of an inch. I sand to where the plywood is a very snug fit. When you assemble the chair, you have to give the parts a light tap to get them to slide home.

I do have a 1/4" dowel pin in the rear of the seat, which engauges into a 5/16" hole in the back. That way, when you repeatedly grab the back by the handle hole, it cannot over time climb up in the slots. I cant see the seat sliding forward unless you intentialy grab it and pull it ahead.

However, these are just the first prototypes... subject to change. Some of our friends will be getting them shortly, and their kids will give them the "rough and tumble" test

Although my primary business is furniture, cabinets etc - I have always enjoyed making things such as this for gifts, and just to bring ideas I have in my head to real life.

This is where this new CNC machine is really allowing me to bring ideas I have to reality QUICKLY. Before, it might take me months or even years to sit down, and draw up patterns, make templates, etc... Now I can draw something up in an evening and within minutes cut it out. Awesome!

AJC

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    Andrew

Here's a table that sees constant use around here... as do several dozen I sold before the USA laws to protect us from harmful Chinese imports put all mom and pop manufacturers out of business! It' not KD except that the legs are bolted on with connector bolts

Steve
    Steve,
    That looks fantastic! It is too bad you cannot make a quality piece of child size furniture and be able to sell it in the US... that is a shame. What I do see here in the stores (like from Sears, Wallmart, etc) is basically junk. There are some better quality stuff sold in private name stores - but the kids furniture is either very pricey for the really good stuff, or still not what I would consider "great", ie, made from MDF and using the typical KD screws and inserts, etc.

AJC

check out greg smiths version of the kd rocker its one of the best designs Ive seem for ease of cutting for a long time

I cant find anything on "Greg Smith" when I do a search...

AJC

edit: never mind, I found the post on the rocking chair.. 3/4MDF one.
    Last edited by Ajcoholic; 03-25-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: addition

AJC look under the (project ideas) listing on the main page of the forum .half way down the page is his post

Supper nice... Would you share the pattern.. Would love to cut those for my two nephews, and my sisters grand baby if you do send it to me in a dxf file.. My e-mail address is eking1953@yahoo.com

Here is today's project... a kids bench - based on the chair of course.

Quote Originally Posted by genek View Post
    Supper nice... Would you share the pattern.. Would love to cut those for my two nephews, and my sisters grand baby if you do send it to me in a dxf file.. My e-mail address is eking1953@yahoo.com
    Eugene,
    Are you referring to my chairs, or to the rocker of Greg Smith's?

Id share with you if you want my file.