Thread: Resin pour in multi core hdpe

Default Resin pour in multi core hdpe

http://www.westsystem.com/ewmag/21/p...1_pigments.pdf
    above is pdf from west systems (copy and paste in browser) it describes coloring their epoxy.
    we have been using resin pours in our king color core and polytone signs for some time because others have been doing it. We have wondered how this might effect our warranty as we ship signs all over the nation. I am not sure i trust the resin pour to hold up long term outside. Some resins we have used are not for exterior use and they shrink and crack. So i am re-investigating the resin issue to see whats new out there that i do not know about. seems like what i do not know can hurt me and more than anything i want to sell honest products. anyone with resin pour inlays who would contribute to this discussion please jump in with your experience and thoughts.
    the pdf from west says that the pigments added can effect the adhesion. I like the ease of resin compared to the fiberglas inlays we used to put in. Thanks for any help out there.

Also, i just sent an email to West systems with questions about durability outside, etc. I will share that info when it comes.

Dick,
    Please do keep us informed. I've played with epoxy inlay a little and really like the look, but was given the impression it didn't hold up long term in the elements - cracking, glazing etc. If there is something that will hold up and can be colored, I'd be quite interested.

This message was from West Systems,
    i did get a response from some others that
    are similar.

Dick:

Epoxy typically does not hold up well with exposure to sunlight. It initially looses its gloss and the color can change fairly quickly and eventually it becomes yellow and chalky. You can protect it for exterior applications by applying a good varnish or one or two part clear polyurethane (this is the best of the three) over it. If you use high percentages of dry pigment or mineral base powders like stone dust the epoxy holds up much better. It looses its gloss with exposure to the sun but retains the base color because the pigment and stone particles cast shadows that protect the epoxy below. If you get a chance and if you are interested, give me a call next week and I can fill you in with more information on the topic.

Best regards,

Tom Pawlak

Technical Service

I've used Permalac in the past to seal a number of things, including brass, polyurethane resin & epoxy. It has UV protection built in & they say it is good for 10yrs+ outside.

-B

Brady- How is the clear epoxy holding up with the permalac covering outdoors? I'm interested in giving it a shot, if you have had success.

Thanks!

http://www.permalac.com/products.asp

It's been holding up great. FYI - Sculpt Nouveau recommends it as a sealer on their metallic coatings. They say it is good for 10+ years - I don't have anything that has been out there that long, but I can tell you, it is really good stuff! Epoxy is fine as long as you top coat it with something with UV inhibitors - which PL has...

-B

Hi Dick, I would be more concerned about the adhesion to the color core. Generally speaking, nothing sticks to this stuff except a particular 3M adhesive that I've heard about. I would imagine that the expansion rate of epoxy is different that the polyethylene material as well so even if it does adhere a while, I'm guessing that over time and with weather the epoxy fill would detatch from the sign base. If the epoxy coloring is a problem on top of that, I would be even more concerned about long term failure.
    Perhaps of you drill some holes in the carved areas to fill a spru/peg into the fill it would help but it does sound a bit suspect to me.
    Best of luck and hope you have better results than I would anticipate.
    Have you spoken to the folks on epoxy specifically about polyethylene adhesion? Kings plastics aboiut epoxy adhesion?
    I would highly recommend a call to Kings plastics about this technique and material compatibility. Maybe they have some tips or recommendations.
    I also doubt a "top coat" on the complete sign would stick. maybe to the epoxy inlay/fill but not to the color core base material.