Thread: Another church job

Default Another church job

Just came home from installing another textile storage cabinet and thought I'd share a couple of pics. There's not much to write about really, the cabinet was so large it needed to be painted in muted grays to blend in, and there wasn't much room for decorations but we decided on a pretty serious crown carving which was done on the 'bot.

28858.jpg

Crown created in C4D, machined with MillWizard, cutting time 4.5 hours.

28859.jpg

There was also a piece of press about this job, you can see it here (that's yours truly cleaning up the lettering in the pic) but it's in Swedish.

Anyway, to sum up it was a nice project. We've become pretty good at hauling through these jobs so they tend to blend into each other, but it's always a good feeling to make something you know will stand there for a hundred years at least.

Looks very nice! Is it a parallax effect, or are the Alpha and the Omega not in the center? Or are the left drawers wider than the right?

Ari.

Hi Ari,

Glad you liked it!

The Alfa and Omega are on center, but the left side drawers are much wider than those on the right.

It's hard to see in the pic, but the left side drawers are ~1.5 meters wide: the whole cabinet is seriously huge.

I hope they decide to paint the crown in the greens and reds used in the main church, but the antiquarian wanted muted grays until the whole installment could be evaluated in situ.

Hey Henrik,

You know your work has the look and quality of craftsmen of 100 years ago.

I swore the picture of you i saw before was of an older gentleman....wait a minute, i seem to recall you telling us before that you could see the mountains of Transylvania from where you live.
    The clues are starting to add up..
    old world craftsman
    looked older...now younger
    proximety to Transylvania
    I'll bet you like to work at night huh?
    HMMMMMMM.....
    have you had any transfusions lately?
    just kidding...great work!

Hey Jack, thanks but I can't really hear ya, you need to come closer ... a little closer still ... a liiittle bit closer

I say your getting good at it!

But that isn't really the real thing, is it? I mean it's just an air brushed Photoshop image done 12"X18" screen, right?

And whats thay guy holding, it looks like carving tool or something. Aren't these virtual images great? Nothing here is real.

Ok, I'm jealious.

That really "crowns" the piece. Beautiful design work and superb execution. What material did you use for the crown carving?

Thanks Joe, but you know, if I can make you jealous of one piece we've done that makes me glad but I'm jealous of basically everything you do.

Terry, thanks. The carved part was machined out of three layers of 19mm MDF. I would have liked to make it out of solid wood, but there was just too many things going on in that piece and many areas where solid wood likely would have caused chip-outs and losing whole chunks of the blank.

We have an upcoming job where the crown will be of solid oak and not painted, however, so it's something I'll have to learn how to do.