Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working with acrylic

Default Working with acrylic

Does anyone use their ShopBot for machining acrylic parts from sheet stock. This is what I am going to use my ShopBot for when I finally get one. Seems everyone cuts wood, signs, etc. If anyone would like to see what I produce to see what I will be doing go to www.lifereef.com. Anything that is round or has holes in it is what I will be making.

Jeff,
    There are a lot of people out there using their Bot to machine various types of plastics, including acrylic. When you finally get one, order a spindle instead of a router.

-B

I cut windshield for motorcycle on my bot, I also do some litho with is that are lighted, it work great, the only thing I can tell you is go and I was having problem with cutters and between Paul A. Zank, Jack Jarvis, and Jim Frost they got me going. Jack help with the cutter and I buy some cutter from www.centuriontools.com and there one of the best I ever us, and I been machining 40 yr now.
    good luck
    Robert

Thanks. I was going to go with a spindle. The thickest acrylic material I would cut is 1/2". If anyone else has experience cutting acrylic with their ShopBot please give me some feedback. I do not plan on using my CNC for wood or other soft materials so I want to know how the ShopBot handles material like this.

I have cut up to 1.5" cast acrylic with good results. I cut this with a .5 up-spiral bit. I use o-flute for smaller thicknesses with excellent results. You should seriously consider a vacuum table, It will make things a lot less frustrating. Cut .25 in a single pass or do 2passes with a cleanup pass to get a good glue surface. Yes go with a spindle the ability to go below 10000 rpm's will be a benefit you will find useful. I also run air to cool/ evacuate chips. Hope this helps. DD

High Jeff,
    greetings from a former reef keeper. Like your stuff! You should have no trouble with the acrylic. I've cut lots of it up to 1.5". Half inch will give you good results with proper tooling. Think spindle, vacuum hold down and polished O flute tooling. I usually cut with 3/8" dia tools, .375 per pass depth and then do a .025 cleanup pass full depth with good results.

Used to run a 50 gallon reef with a 30 gallon RDP and a skimmer, both with deep sand beds. Wish I had pics!

Thanks Eric, and the rest of you. I will consider this information when I start cutting. I am still in the research phase of deciding on a CNC but have ShopBot at the top of the list.
    Can some of you tell me what swayed you to the ShopBot over E.Z. Router, WartHog, and Practical CNC?

I looked at the EZ router and a few things for me were, I couldn't alter the table to accomodate an indexer (if i recall correctly) plus they were located in Texas while shopbot was in NC just 150 miles away. Plus having local friends who had a shopbot and the forum.

Jeff, the main reason I chose ShopBot was, Support, Support, Support, Help, Help. I don't think you can find a more open and accessable customer service operation plus the ShopBot Forum anywhere. I have asked questions on weekends and got response by email or phone very quickly. Problem solved and recovery planned before anyone wakes up Monday morning!

I also think the newer PRS models are a lot more sturdy for working plastics and wood. The E.Z. Router looks like a good machine for holding a torch, but I think the Extruded Aluminum on the PRS has a lot more going for it to keep things aligned and straight over time. I think the ShopBot is a bit more beefy where it needs to be compared to the other three. The other three are very good machines from looking at them on their websites, but I have never seen any of them in the flesh. I have seen quite a few ShopBots over time.

Mine was support as well. Plus I was able to download the owner manuals, and control software before I could buy to see how easy it is to run. And the forum, I felt like I knew the ends and outs about the machine before I actually got mine and turned it on just from reading here. It has also saved me alot of downtime because I already knew about the problem and how to fix it. Love my bot and would by another without thought.