Thread: Windows vs. DOS

thommyt Guest

Default Windows vs. DOS

I have probably missed an earlier discussion of this, but I am easily confused and new to ShopBotting and use of Forums. Please pardon my ignorance.

I am about to hook up a PRT96 I bought in April '01 and because life had other plans am only now getting around to fooling with it. It's been set up for most of that time, but never hooked up and run.

I am using a Gateway GP7-450 (P3 450Mhz) for design, plan to install v3 on that.

Using a generic P-S 120 Mhz for shopbot complicator, plan to install v2 on that.

Any suggestions whether to run in DOS only, or install Windows98 and run in DOS mode. Might make downloading newer files from ShopBot easier and perhaps managing files easier on the shop complicator (it's been 23 years since I worked in DOS).

Are there ad or disadvantages to going the Windows98 route on an older slower complicator rather than just install DOS only and run in that? Either way, I would run v2 because the shop complicator is so slow (120 Mhz)it couldn't handle v3 I don't think.

Thanks, I look forward to diving in and hope to one day actually contribute to this forum.

magicfarm@usa.com Guest

ThommyT,

If it was me I would install Windows98 to handling files and other chores that it is good at. I don't recommend running in DOS mode under Windows though, it will likely slow you down or worse yet you will get a stuttering, jerking or grinding sound that will make you think your machine is going poop. Exit windows and restart in DOS to run your machine and it will fly. Also it won't handle very large files in DOS under Windows which you probably wouldn't notice until you tried to use the TIF converter. Because Win98 still had a full functional DOS BOOT capability, there is no reason to not have the advantage of WIN98 on the machine, just don't try to run in a DOS window. Any problems getting set up and running don't hesitate to call or email support. Over two years later for me and I can tell you that your machine is top notch and you invested in an amazing team of people working for the most "Consumer Oriented" company on the planet. No worries. They have my money and they have never turned their back on me. No regrets.

Keith

thommyt Guest

Hello Keith,

Thanx for the response. As you saw I was leaning toward installingWin98, good to get corroboration. Thanks for the tip about running in a DOS window, I knew that somewhere in the depths of the abyss I fondly call my brain, but it hadn't surfaced yet.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I agree that ShopBot folks are great about support. That's good cuz I'm gonna need it. Thanks for the affirmation. So far so good...