Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quiet routers?

Carroll Bradshaw Guest

Has anyone replaced the bearings in their porter cable router 7518. Is it pretty simple

donframbach Guest

I have had no problems running my Bosch 1617EVS for several hours at a time. I think my "record" is 7 hrs. Typical runs are about an hour. I am very sad to report though that my bearings failed yesterday. The Bosch holds bits securely.

skip painter Guest

donald how long did the router last before the bearing went??

pjldesigns@hotmail.com Guest

Re Bosch router. I bought a Bosch rebuilt from a local tool shop for $75. I put about 100 hours on the router and then one day I set to cut about a 3 hour job. I came back to found my work 3/4 done and the bearings strewn all over the table and the plastic housing melted.

Now I don't know if it was the router's fault as I was cutting soapstone!. I think the fine dust from the soapstone is was killed the bearings.
    I brought the router back and they replaced the bearings and housing, repair cost $75. I have since put another 100 plus hours on the router. Now when I cut soapstone I make a dam around the cutting area with clay and fill it with water to keep the dust down. I also use a shop vac to collect the dust that does escape and also run an airline to blow air out of the router bearings as its cutting. No problem yet, but anticipate that router will need new bearings again at some point.
    Phil

donframbach Guest

For a really quiet router, although one with very little power, try mounting a $50 Dremel tool. For my purposes, using bits 1/16" and smaller, this works real well. Since it spins at 30K rpm the Dremel tool is actually better than the larger, louder routers. When I want to use a larger bit, I just switch back to my Bosch 1617 EVS.

Don