Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Freakin Economy!

Default Freakin Economy!

How is it in your part of the country? I just got laid off 3 weeks ago, haven't received a unemployment check yet. (taking up to 10 weeks to process in AZ) Lost the last 4 jobs, I bid (Sorry to those that I had asked for some help with, that never came too) I Can't get work even at 40.00 an hour shop rate. Now most of the jobs that paid 20-30 per hour employers are offering 10-14 per hour. Is this happening to any of you guys?

Yep got laid off from my full time job 3 weeks ago and is also slumping in Savannah.

I feel for everyone in this economy. I've been contacted by at least 2 dozen former co-workers that have been laid off and are looking for work. Unemployment 8.5% and rising.

To keep from being too blue, go volunteer at a Hospital or Childrens Hospital for a day a week or even a few hours. It makes you appreciate what you do have and consider this... it's networking.

/RB

Ohio is in transition. We lost the steel mills, Hoover company, Diebold and Timken are outsourcing more labor.
    Technology is advancing so fast that we do not have the people educated to service it.
    There will be a time gap for educatonal programs to come up to speed with technology. Most likely the job you have now was not even available when you were born. Then you have the air quality laws and zoning issues to deal with for sign companies.
    The media wants to keep you coming back so they give you expanded presentations of bad news to make you worry. Very little good news from the media. The advertising is geared to make us unhappy unless we have certain products, etc.
    so we are under attack for sure.
    When people are stressed they usually go back to something that gave them comfort in the past that is the danger for some. There are alot of voices thay are vying for our attention. I climb the stair way of emotion to get to the place i want to be which is to have faith, step out in faith, do not listen to "demons" who tell lies about me or my future. I want to attack life, have unconqurable gladness, believe in unquestionable truth and move forward regardless. I do not mind hearing the word NO when it comes to sales because at the end of the NO's is a yes. I may not have the comforts that i have now in 5 years but that is ok. I really need to think about my grandchildren, children, family and invest in them. I do not want to bury my head or be delusional. There is faith foolishnes and presumption and sometimes it is hard to discern. I have groups of encouraging people around.
    i believe the only thing to fear is fear.
    however when on the stairway to better thinking fear is one of the steps. Since i have adapted this mentality i am just as happy now as ever have been most of the time. I do hear voices lying to me about myself and my ability to provide but i choose not to listen to them. I know they want to destroy me.I have said too much but maybe not enough. just trying to keep it general for a public posting. and describe what is working for me at this time. I do see some light.

Our economy here in the high desert of Southern California is based on construction.
    Well that bubble burst Nov 2006. Well it trickles down from that. A local glass manufacturer closed the plant, restaurants have gone out of business, many mom and pop businesses are gone, Circuit City is gone, a 105 year old local department store chain is liquidating and unemployment is over 10%. I get at least 3 people a week come by the shop looking for a job.
    Well I'm still here. I'm not going without a lot of kicking and screaming. I will be very lucky to make it through this recession but that's the plan. I will be in an excellent position when things do come back. Whatever it takes to get to the next job I am willing to do.
    We will see.

LM Custom Woodcrafts, Cortlandt Manor New York

"American made financial fiasco sinks the world." Gimme a break. Greed caused it, worldwide greed. I'm sure there is at least ONE Canadian banker, mortgage company, etc, that is guilty of the same as American, Asian, British bankers.
    I don't understand why you would even want to post on this greedy evil american made forum.

What financial fiasco? I was a little slow around Christmas, but that's normal.

I thought is was this years cold,icy,winter!

Spoke to a good friend in central Maine and he said that the negative effects are just hitting Maine. Maine tends to live poorer edge but most everyone can work. Well, the saw mills are all closed for 8 weeks (which has not happened ever)because no one is purchasing hardwood which means the loggers can cut all the trees they want but they can not be delivered...

They got SO much snow this year that when he was logging, he had to bulldoze roadways into the woods and then hand dig (with snow shovels) to get to the base of trees. The ground was frozen then

Now the thaw is just starting and we call it MUD season so you can not drive a logging truck anywhere except hardpack for the next several weeks. (hence he can not cut white cedar on his band saw mill!)

In Massachusetts, the construction industry is very slow... The metal work contractors (welders, etc) are completely quiet.

I work in the video on demand business from your telecom and cable company business supplying software. Our business is up because families are staying home and ordering movies on cable instead of the movies, can be a family night and eat your own popcorn and chips. I feel VERY lucky
    and thank God while trying to help others.

My business is signs - mainly dimensional signs, and we are busier now than in recent memory.

Thankfully, we are selling work and have a backlog of several months.

Things are slowing down here in Texas, but not like so much of the rest of the country. New homes are still being built and the price of existing homes is staying steady - actually have risen to a small degree. Unemployment in our area is still low, but folks are getting laid off more now than in the past, but nothing to compare with some other states.

The evening news is depressing, so I try not to watch or listen - just keep plodding away trying to get my signs out the door.