Thread: .ps vs. .eps files

Default .ps vs. .eps files

Ok, so I am just getting started with the shop bot and I am playing with the Vectric 2D software.

I am sure this is a very basic question, but I have found some "eps" files to have the .ps extension and others to have the .eps extension.

I can't seem to import those with a .ps extension.

Can someone explain to me what the difference is, and how (if possible) I can convert them so they will work properly?

Thanks
    Brock

in other software all i do is change the file extension from .ps to .eps by adding an e

hmmm.. ok.

I tried that and it didn't seem to work. Thanks. I will explore that further.

Hey Brock,

.ps is a postscript file. It is a stripped down file in the language native to printers. It is primarily used so that a file can be sent directly to a printer without having to be opened in another program. (useful in printing/publishing shops)

This is a subset of .eps or encapsulated postscript which not only contains the print data but also preview image and meta-data that allows other programs to interpret the file.

As Adobe systems is the 800 lb. gorilla of the graphics industry, they have somewhat set the standard for postscript processing.

As such, usually the best way to get clean data out of a .ps file is to open it in Illustrator, Distiller, or Acrobat (full program, NOT Reader). Then save a copy in .eps or .pdf which will add the nessesary meta-data.

Of course this assumes that the file was created using Adobe standards, but 98% of the time it works.

If you dont have access to these softs, I can most likely convert it for you.

Chris

.eps files can contain vector data but they can also contain placed images (bitmap data).

You need a program like corel, freehand or Illustrator to compliment your Vectric 2d software. (not NECCESSARY, but infinitely useful...)

AH! Progress. (Well some).

Thanks for the advice. I do have Acrobat Standard. I opened the files and saved them out as .eps but apparantly it still didn't make them vector files. When I try to open it it says it failed and that the data must be bit mapped.

I have an old copy of illustrator around somewhere, I will try and dig that up.

Thanks

I am also new to this CNC world, another week to wait for my new machine to arive. but I do have over 20 years in computer graphics, and often it is just a matter of finding the correct combination of programs. AI vectors saved from the newest Photoshop CS4 do not seem to be recognized by Aspire, but if you open them in Illustrator and save them as AI CS2 type files then they work fine.
    It can be frustrating.
    I have NO connection to Adobe, so the following is just something I recently found, not an ad.
    If anyone is doing much conversion of photos or line drawings to vectors it would be worth it to check out the new "Live Trace" function on "placed" images found inside of CS4 Illustrator. It is truly an amazing tool. It is not very well documented, and a bit hard to find. You must Place an image , not open it. The new Adobe programs are terribly expensive, but after many years of doing vectors by hand this is the first automated way to do it that I have been truly impressed by. I would certainly try it with the free one month trial of the program though before I bought it, a everyone's needs are different.

You can also export them as dfx file and Aspire will open them.