Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Project - Gutiar Bodies

Default First Project - Gutiar Bodies

Well, I finally did it! AND finally got my head wrapped around using PartWorks for the 2D pocketing procedures. HUGE thanks to Dana Swift for helping me out on that one.

These bodies are made of Alder. They are in the shape of a race car which was supplied by my customer. The bodies were built around an Epiphone (Gibson) Les Paul Jr. components like the neck and bridge.

The bodies will be sent to the customer where he'll have it custom painted. They're going to painted up like the Joe Gibbs Racing #18 M&M's car. One body will be kept by the customer, one will go to Kyle, as he commissioned the work to be done, and one will go to the shop to be displayed. I'm not sure if Kyle will keep it or auction it off.

I got a sample of what the paint job will look like, but I didn't think it looked all that great. Hoping the real thing looks much better. *crosses fingers*

Anyways, this is my first project done on the ShopBot Buddy. Now it's time to get my procedure down for making necks.

46609.jpg

46610.jpg

wow, congratulations Courtney. I really like them

Thanks, all I can do is smile!

D

courtney, i purchased a used motocross bike from a fellow in NC, when i went to get it i met him at Joe Gibbs racing just above Charlotte!! he showed me the cnc machinery and the shop, at that point it was more fun than the bike!! man are they gonna get a kick outa this!! excellent work.

jim

very cool courtney. Nice cut too.
    what bit do you use for alder?
    Hope we get to see the painted/completed project.

Thanks all! I used 1/2" for roughing and 1/4" for finishing. Everything was right around 2 ips.

If you like those you'll love the one pictured below! I finished it up today. It's alternating bloodwood and satinwood. Both woods are from South America. I'm not quite finished with it yet. I'll be putting several coats of tung oil on it.

It's a body designed around an Ibanez 7 string neck. Has two single coil pickups and one humbucker along with a 7 string tremolo. It's what Ibanez would call a Universe model, which is a signature 7 string model for guitarist Steve Vai. The only difference is the Universe has never had a single coil at the neck. The long slot is a late 80's design of Vai's, which functions as a handle. The newer models have a contoured grip and the long slot design has been discarded. So, this is a throwback to the late 80's really.

If you haven't used bloodwood you should try it. It has a very sweet smell when you cut it. Very dense though. And the color is blood red. Some use it for inlays as well.

The satinwood is a bright yellow wood. Very pretty. Not quite as dense as the bloodwood, but still kinda dense. I just love how the alternating colors turned out on this.

This body wasn't done on the ShopBot though. I started this one before I bought it. Everything was done by hand using a bandsaw, router, and templates I made and lots of sanding. I love doing it, but it is time consuming. I just really love putting interesting woods together and making a guitar out of them.

46643.jpg
    46644.jpg

46645.jpg
    46646.jpg

My next project is going to be a Ibanez Destroyer with mahogany in the center, korina on each side of the mahogany and leopardwood on each side of the korina. I might throw some bubinga in there too. )

Wow Courtney thats impressive, i really like the look of it. I just wish i could play one.

Great Work!I love the contrasting wood species.

I have a client that is making guitars out of one
    piece of wood,including the neck.

He wants me to cut them,they'll do the rest.

Is there a reason your necks are attached separately?
    I don't remember seeing one piece construction on guitars.

You can build a guitar at least 3 different ways. One is a neck-thru construction where the wood that makes up the neck is actually part of the body.

Another way is a set-neck which is where the neck is glued in place into the body.

Another way is to do a bolt-on-neck where screws are used to physically attach the neck to the body. That's how these bodies are made.

Each have their own personality when it comes to tone. Neither are wrong or right. Simply preference.

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

As fast as you got that going there wont be any holding you back now! WAY TO GO !