Thread: Lube question

Default Lube question

I know this may seem like a stupid question, but as far as I can tell in the manual, it tells you to lube the rack and pinion, but says nothing about the guide rails and v rollers. I assume that all these should have grease but is there any reason NOT to lube the rails and rollers on the new PRS?

Erik, I believe the consensus is that a light film is OK on the rails but much more than that will attract debris.It couldnt harm the rails to put lube on them but it would certainly be messy. How is the "new" machine working out?

Some have utilized felt wipers that have light oil in them. It would keep the rail/wheels clean of dust/debris and lightly lube them. I know that if I don't periodically wipe the dust off (using a light oil dampened cloth), that I get a build up of dust caked on the rollers and rails which causes a rough ride down the rails.

I plan on installing some felt wipers when time permits.

I haven't had a ton of time to really cut anything I want yet...I have spent most of my time tweaking...but I think I'm most of the way there now. I am also working on a vacuum system so that should make things easier. Overall the new bot is good. A lot of little things that have added up to a good amount of time. Thanks for answering the lube question...I'm going to put a light coat of lube on the rails, but will keep an eye out for and type of build up on them. Thanks guys.
    Erik

I use T9 on my vrollers and rails (I have a PRTAlpha) It has some lubricating value, keeps the rails from rusting and does not collect dust once dry. I lube them at about twice the rate I lube the rack and pinions.

/RB