Thread: Chatter and Pinions

Default Chatter and Pinions

Just an informational post as I was having more chatter than normal lately. Brady suggested I check my pinions.

Tonight while changing to the new replacement ones I figured I would snap a photo to show you what the old ones looked like. It took me all of 10 minutes to change them out and the bot seems much happier with the new teeth. I had never heard the pinions were consumables until Brady opened my eyes. Thanks and hope this gets a few of you to look at yours if your having some of the same problems I was.

18946.jpg

The one in the middle is the new one and the outer two are the X axis pionions of my alpha.

Kind of hard to see in the picture but the teeth on the old ones are by far worn compared to the new. But without the new ones I had nothing to compare this to? Cost was about $70.00 and well worth the price.

-D

Interesting Dave. How many hours would you say the pld pinions had done?

John

Been replacing my y axis pinions every six months and x axis every year since I got mine. An easy check is run each axis at 2" / sec. This seems to be the point at which the wear shows by a slight stuttering which prints out only at that speed.

Dave,
    Glad the new pinions are working out...don't forget to grease them. I like the white lithium spray grease that is sold in better automotive supply houses.

-B

I've been using Gunk motorcycle chain oil. The stuff is amazing, it doesn't really ever dry and it doesn't collect dust. We've used it for years on farm equipment, lawnmowers etc...

Robert

The Custom Sign Shop / Custom Creations, Flemington NJ

Brady, are the racks considered a consumable item also? Would seem like they would be.

Generally speaking, no the racks are not consumables. If you don't replace pinions at a reasonable interval, it will affect the rack. Keep them clean & greased and make sure that your pinions aren't mangled to the point of grinding into the rack.

-B

I would say I have about 600 to 800 hours on these pinions. My Pc 7518 is probably the next consumable to get replaced.

I also use motorcycle o-ring chain oil that is in the spray can. It's is kinda expensive, but it very tacky and last longer than then white lithium grease. As you can imagine, it was made for a very harsh enviroment and lasts a long time. If you get it on your hands, it can be difficult to get off. Look for "O-ring chain oil" in the spray can that is sold in your better motorcycle supply houses.

hello
    this is my first post and i want to thank all the peaple at shopbot for helping me get started