Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ShopBot mosaics

Default ShopBot mosaics

I've been using a ShopBot at the Sawdust Shop for a while now. I'm building a wood airplane and this incredible machine comes in very handy. As a little side project, I started cutting mosaics on the SB. Here are a couple cut with 1/8" straight bit.

Here are some other mosaics I made before--not SB-related: http://www.lib.aero/~ari/mosaics/

Ari.

28815.jpg

28816.jpg

28817.jpg
    28818.jpg

Ari,
    We'll be looking forward to some of your Show and Tell samples at the San Mateo User group in May !

Fun stuff, Ari! Thanks for sharing.

-B

Ari,

Nice work.

Kinda looks like dithering to me!

Charles

PS: If you are quoting Sir Fred, then the programming is half of the fun. Been there, done that, and still do. CK

Thank you for your kind words guys.

Here's my latest--Flatiron building in NYC, 97"x23". Finished it today. Took 13.5 hours to cut, plus time to reposition and realign the piece half way through--the machine I use is only 48"x48".

Note how this piece uses a hexagonal grid as opposed to the more traditional rectangular. It takes a bit more work to generate in software, but allows me to pack more pixels into a given space. The gaps between pixels are smaller, which both improves the effective resolution and makes a for more pleasing view up close.

I'm looking forward to seeing you guys in San Mateo.

Ari.

28839.jpg
    28840.jpg
    28841.jpg

Authentic Cabinetworks LLC, minneapolis mn

Ari thats is some cool stuff. What software did you use to get a pixelated picture?

Ari,
    I also have the airplane bug, Built several and two Mini-Max, KR-1, PDQ-2, Pitts, Hang Gliders, Looking for another to cut on the SB. I would like to cut a few mosaics, hoping you will share the process you used.

Ari,
    I also have the airplane bug, Built several and two Mini-Max, KR-1, PDQ-2, Pitts, Hang Gliders, Looking for another to cut on the SB. I would like to cut a few mosaics, hoping you will share the process you used.

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

Lonnie,
    Were the planes and the hang glider full size? I keep telling the guy working with me we can build a plane but i cant get him to test fly it. (since we neither one know squat about flying). I got a 12 hp mower motor and if i build the wings large enough i think it might fly ? Maybe? Please post pics

Andre:

I wrote my own software to generate ShopBot part files from images. Email me a photograph and I'll send you a preview image. If you like the preview, I'll send you the .sbp file to cut it. Specify bit diameter and desired piece size. Better yet, post your file here! Portraits generally work best in small sizes, followed by easily recognizable shapes like airplanes, cars and skylines. Logos and landscapes generally don't come out well.

My program is not very polished, and although I'd be happy to share the source code, it's probably not quite ready to be distributed to end users. If you can run Python code from the command line, drop me a note and I'll send the source to you. Otherwise, send me an image file.

Ari.