Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ShopBot mosaics

Lonnie,

Now I know who to go to when the time comes to put a prop on my MiniMAX! I'm quite impressed with your operation. Seems like the business is good, which is great! Let me know if you need any help with programming :=)

I cut a lot of parts for my MiniMAX on the ShopBot and on an Epilog laser. The thought of cutting 24 almost-but-not-quite-identical nose ribs out of 1/4 aircraft-grade ply by hand sends shivers though my spine, and that's just one example. The odd thing is that no one else I know of has taken this approach, and there must be about five hundred Maxes flying. I had to design my own DXFs. I'm fairly active in the 'max community, and as impressed as some of the other builders were with my process, only a couple wanted copies of the files. Not even the kit manufacturer expressed interest. I guess some people are just /too/ traditional.

Ari.

Ari,
    The airplanes were full size but I am a model nut also or for anything that fly's. I also cut my part on the SB for my Max and you are correct about some manufactures being in the dark about making a kit/product at lower cost, less time, and better quality. How about dropping me a e-mail off the forum to talk airplane without boring others.

Lonnie's props are first class. I had one on a Sonerai IIL. It was a work of art as are all of Lonnie's products. Great work Ari, I like it.

Marv

Marvin, Thanks for the great comments, hope your still flying, its been quite a few years since we made that propeller then converted it in 1999 to a composite. What type of work are you doing with the Bot?

I like Marvin's "work airplane" on his site!

Ari.

Lonnie,

I'm still flying. Instructing in an OV-10 on a government contract. Sorry to say the Sonerai is gone. I sold it about 10 years ago and the guy wrecked it on his first take off. He was ok but the airplane was in pieces.

Ari,

Yea, it's a really fun airplane to fly. I need to update my web site though. I have a new 4x4 EZ-Router now (very similar to a Shopbot). Just got it after Christmas and it is great. I'm doing some personal signs and some work for a sign company. The MDF router on my site has been disassembled and used for something else. The other one is for sale if anyone is interested.

Marv

Ari,

Very nice!

I am all over the command line Python stuff and would love to see your source code. My email address is jharmon00 (at) dslextreme (dot) com

I'll be looking forward to meeting you and seeing more in San Mateo as well.

Cheers
    Jim

Email sent.

Ari.

I must say I{m impressed with your work my friend, I just bought a shopbot, it will be delivered next week, and I cant wait to start making some tests.
    is there any commercial software that can make something like this?

I am a newbie, and I really dont understand about all the command line phyton, I hope some day I have the knowledge to make something like this.

congratulations! nice work!!!

Best regards

JELPSPEED

Another way to do this is by using a v bit and using the size of the dot to get contrast. In a 1x1 square unit (base area of 1), the darkness of the dot is (pi) r^2. the darkest dot poossible would be when the dot fills the whole square (r=.5). Its a relatively simple matter to scale the grayscale to depth based on the angle of the v-bit. Someone did some of these a long time ago on the list in anodized aluminum. Very pretty.