Thread: HSD 2.2 SPINDLE CURRENT

Default HSD 2.2 SPINDLE CURRENT

Hi, could someone tell me the full load current for the HSD 2.2 spindle setup. I am ready to pull wire to my shop area and need to size the wire and breaker. Thanks
    Doug

Doug , I am getting ready to do the same and Shopbot told me to run a 30 Amp circuit . It is also the same rating for a 4 HP spindle I have been told .

Bill

30 is more then enough. I doubt a spindle has much of a peak draw to it.
    now if it is a single phase then it would take quite a bit more.

Yes it is a single phase. I am planning on running a 60 amp feed to a sub panel and having two seperate breakers in it, one for the spindle and one for the dust collector. The 2hp collectors pull around 10-12 amps and if the spindle pulls around 30 amps that should leave me around 20 amps for over rating. Does this sound ok? What kind of dust collectors are you guys using, I am thinking of a grizzly, penn state ind, or oneida all being cyclone 2hp.

Doug , You don't mention vacuum but if this is in your plans you will need seperate circuits for it also ... even the Feins will eat up a 15A 120V circuit each .

Bill

Doug,
    I run a PRT-Alpha w/3hp Colombo spindle, 2-Fein vacumms and a 2-hp JET dust collector from a 50-AMP 240VAC subpanel. My 3-hp spindle very rarely pulls more than 5A (displayed on the Delta VFD). At startup, the spindle pulls about 3.5A. While cutting, the spindle normally pulls between 2.5A and 3.5A (1/4-inch deep V-Carve in pine). If I'm cutting MDF or Melamine, with a 3/8-inch down spiral cutter, I can pull up to 5A. When the power company lets power dip below 110VAC, I turn off one of the Fein vacuums. So far, I haven't had any problems.

I do not have plans for a vacuum hold down. I purchased the buddy standard with HSD 2.2hp single phase spindle setup. Shopbot also told me it pulls around 34 full load amps. I am just having a hard time understanding why it is this high for a 2.2 hp spindle. Is there any documentation or specs on this setup out there? This wire is expensive and I hate to way oversize it if I do not need to. I just want to run the spindle and dust collector on this 220v subpanel.

Doug,
    Shopbot has to list the unit at 34A. Because of the rating of individual components and because of not-so-friendly lawyers, any manufacturer has to list worse-case amperage. I'm not advising that you use lighter gauge wiring than suggested, but the generally accepted formula for computing amperage shows that the spindle will pull about 8.5A max from 240VAC single phase. The formula is Amps = HP X 746 / (Voltage X efficiency X power factor). So 2.2hp X 746 / (240V X 0.80 efficiency X 1.0 power factor) = 8.548A. Eighty percent efficiency may not apply and 100% power factor may not apply. That leaves about 25.5A at 240VAC for the steppers and other components in the control box. Remember that on a 120VAC circuit, you would have about 50 amps available before reaching 34A @ 240VAC.

I use a 5A fuse on the input side of my power supply that supplies power to four Gecko stepper drivers and four PK299 sized motors. That's from a 120VAC circuit. The Alpha drivers require more current than the Geckos, but I don't think that they would require 10X the amperage;>)

In any case, be safe and use the recommended gauge wiring so that you'll never have to fight the insurance company if an accident ever happens.

Thanks to all for the input on my question. I finally got an exact amperage rating from shopbot and this sounds reasonable. They told me for the HSD 2.2 hp 220v single phase unit the full load amperage is 24 amps. Thanks again to all. If anyone has suggestions on a dust collector it would be appreciated.