Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Google search ain't cuttin it

Default Google search ain't cuttin it

If Google search was the best my favorite
    restaurant could do,
    I would stay home and eat my own cooking
    It's unorganized,out of date by hours if not a full day. and generally a poor substitute for
    what we had before

end of rant
    Carl

Carl...
    You forgot to mention that the old one would at least return a link to a complete thread, instead of a copy of a single post with the search criteria in it. If I had to learn what I learned from this forum using the new search, I would be a much bigger dunce than I am.

I have posted an alternative, have you tried it?

D

Dana's alternative is nice and best option currently available, but I still prefer 'Last Day'. Hope they fix it!

I have to agree with Carl, the new search just plain 'stinks' compared to what we had before. Why do people insist on trying to 'improve' something that is working just fine??
    Remember the old adage...
    the cause of every problem is a change'...and this search fiasco hits that nail on the head.

Tom in PA

Check the last thread on this subject and you will see described a method where you can edit your preferences and have the latest posts emailed you for whichever categories you wish.

Donn

Why did it get changed?

Can it be changed back to the old search?

Why not have the old search and Google?

RIB

Dana...
    I have found over the years that I am not the "typical" user.

I NEVER used the last day search on the old search engine.

I have the "NEW" icon show up on any post I havnt read.

I also get an email if a post is made to any thread I have posted in, along with any in the Cabinetry/eCabinets section. Outlook is set on my computer to send these directly to the deleted items folder and they are deleted upon exit. I dont have to read them, I am simply notified that a post was made to a thread of my interest.

What I do use most of the time, and most likely to my age induced memory loss is a search in the last 300 or 600 days that was made concerning a certain item that I would like to referrence to by providing a link to a user that wants info. It was obvious that he couldnt find the info, now its obvious that I cant find it either. I also used the "search for authors name" function a good percentage of time.

I usually stay very current with the forum, and save those threads important to me in my list of bookmarked pages. For this reason, I very seldom search for me, mostly for another user as I can remember that there WAS a post, just dont remember where or when.

For example; I responded to a post concerning an air drill in the SB accessories section. I would have like to link to that original post, which was titled "Air Compressor" by original poster Nat Wheatley. The old search engine would return a number of threads, allow me to select them, and when selected go to the original post. Not any more. The Google search returns a single post with no link to threads. Its the communities loss, I have already gleaned enough info from my predacessors to be dangerous!
    Gary

Ummm... "Last Day" was much easier than all methods above.

What's up with it?

It's actually diminished my time here on the forum.

I understand there's many ways to skin a cat here, but I just want the old way back as it was most convenient.

I would like to see the old way back. I have cut way back on my visits since the change.. The worst part being it makes it harder for people thinking of buying a ShopBot to learn about them.
    Dan