Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well...does it look like a belfry?

Default Well...does it look like a belfry?

I haven't cut this yet but give me an impression... if you saw a bat nearby would you recognize this as a belfry or wonder what the heck it was?

18426.jpg

Robert,

I would make the connection, but hey I went to school in Austin and we use to get bats in the dorm all the time. And my school actually HAD a belfry.

It looks really nice. It looks like a "high class" bat house. Did you do that in VCarve Pro?

Bruce

Looks like a belfry to me!

It is done Corel X3 then imported and completed in Vcarve Pro. It is slated to be the top of a windchime. It's about 8" high. Not sure what material to cut it from yet since it'll be outside.

I'm glad it looks like a belfry.

Robert

Looks good, a nice weather vane or steeple on top might be a nice touch. Maybe a BATMAN silouette for that weather vane?

Our Bat House Kit in action! Yes I'm proud, I created something that even an 8 year old can assemble. :-)

18444.jpg

18445.jpg

Robert,

That picture of the kid using a power tool without safety glasses is going to raise the ire of OSHA! Just kidding...

That batbox looks really nice. Is that the single box "plan" that I saw on the bats conservation website?

Bruce

This bat box is my original design. I used the requirements published by BCI (www.batcon.org) and created the kit with slots and tabs so it fits together and pretty much self aligns. When BCI certified it they told me they haven't seen anything like it. It was so easy to put together that 2 biologists could even do it. :-) or should that be a caveman?

Saftey glasses for a screwdriver drill... you're probably right. But we do get permission forms.

Robert

Robert,

Do you publish your plan for the single box bathouse? I saw the plans on the BCI but I also saw something on your website about a single box bat house.

I don't think we have a lot of bats in our area but I did see one last summer (a big fat one) on the side of a building. So that got me thinking about building a "test" house to see if I can find any "tenants".

Thanks,

Bruce

Robert,

I just want to say what an inspiration you have been. Your are doing something you love and you have been learning new technology to do it even better. I appreciate your willingness to share your setbacks as well as your triumphs.