Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Off topic but only indirectly

Yeah, Michael, the shop owner said that the incidence of false stops had dropped as employees were more aware of the problematic issues.

On the other hand, staples and other metal objects are a fact of life in MDF.

It doesn't sound like you have had any false hits...congrats.
    Last edited by cnc_works; 03-19-2010 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by waynelocke View Post
    Call me a Marxist, Groucho or Karl, but maybe some study is due before throwing out the phrase. I look at 100 year old tools without guarding or safety features of any sort and marvel at the elaborate and beautiful cast iron...and the injuries they must have caused.Why are they safer now? Pretty much two words — government interference.
    Hello Groucho! ;-)
    All in good fun and spirit......
    I was hoping at least one would find fault with my logic. Alas, I have been blessed!

</Borrowing CNC_Works Ramble Program>

My objection to your comment is >>>I look at 100 year old tools without guarding or safety features of any sort and marvel at the elaborate and beautiful cast iron...and the injuries they must have caused.<<<

I struggle with the concept that a beautiful, old style, cast iron table hooked up to a line shaft via a leather belt and connected to steam engine set out to maim, cause pain and suffering and ruin careers. There is no tool made capable of premeditative anything. This is akin to the news stories reporting out of control SUV's running down a mother and baby in a stroller. The nerve! Or anti-gun rights proponents blaming guns manufacturers for killing people. Insanity!

Further...heavy industry...the kind of industry that created those beautiful cast iron casting has been pushed overseas. Guys in sandals and loin clothes are doing the work that Americans created via the industrial age. American is insolvent largely because of it's recent distaste for building things.

We are a free people. Our freedom is a God given right! I consider myself free. I am a free man. I believe in liberty and the founding principles upon which this country was formed. I believe I have the perfect right to screw up my mind and body and lose limbs through my carelessness. I don't have the right to do this to others. I do have obligations as an employer to care for my employees. The government has a responsibility to level penalties against an employer who intentionally inflicts harm on employees either for profit or from ignorance or neglect.

There are employers that would! They are called criminals and we have laws for that.

There are duties and responsibilities government must act on. But there is a crushing burden government imposes on a Free People who have lost control of their servant. There is only one entity that produces superior quality at a fair price and that is the Free Market.

I'm ranting right now about safety while sporting a wound on my thumb I received from a table saw! It was a rickety POS Dewalt table saw with all the safety features removed because it gets in the way of getting the job done. Nix that statement! I received a wound because of my own stupidity! The table saw has no other duty than to respond to the electrons flowing through it! My thumb responds to the same commands from my brain! My brain was at fault...not the table saw nor my employer!

Frankly, I've never heard of SawStop until this forum brought it up. I like the idea from a marketing and engineering approach but my heart lies with the old cast beautiful iron.

Mankind. A species capable of creating a table saw should have the intelligence to work around the inherent dangers of the creation.

Down below I posted a picture of what a cowboy might look like if OSHA had free rein. Consider this: If OSHA had free rein, how long would it be before all American citizens would be required to attend training sessions to simply get out of bed properly? Have you ever seen and OSHA inspector who wasn't limping, missing limbs or obese? One of the lowest moments in my career was feigning interest in scars located in private areas of OSHA inspector's anatomy! Limping tributes to carelessness all employed by an agency that must find something...anything that is wrong or unsafe.
    Unchecked government intrusion makes every endeavor impossible.

The Market is a double edged sword. I live in apple country. The Red Delicious apple used to be red and used to be delicious. They are beautiful specimens today but taste like ****. Every orchardist I talk to tells me the market forced this upon itself. FYI...The Cameo is now the tasty apple. So far, government hasn't taken an issue with the decline of the Red Delicious but at present rates...who knows?

I believe the free market should decide what is important. Safety ... production? Both?
    Would you hie an OSHA cowboy/carpenter? Everybody here knows about the Dewalt battery powered skilsaw. What a POS it is because of it's retarded safety feature. Who complains? (I did! Used the rant feature to get it done) Their safety feature is a killer. At least a maimer! Dewalt should suffer financially because of this. I'll never buy another Dewalt tool because the product is just ****.

If SawStop is producing an exceptional tool at a fair price I hope it prospers!
    Government should not micro manage. I wouldn't hire government to do anything for me not expressly called out in the constitution. Specifically, I want them to keep the bad guys off American soil so we enjoy our standard of living without IEDS going off with monotonous regularity.

The words "General Welfare" used in the constitution should not be misconstrued to turn a cowboy into a counter productive PIA wood craftsman.

Wayne...what about the 100's of years our ancestors produced products with all kinds of even while using sharp unsafe implements?

If the Market Place says safety is priority one....then the products will mirror exactly what the market wants. I prefer safety in the minds of the hands I hire and quality in the tools I buy.

When government mandates bio-diesel....the poor starve because they can no longer afford food.

That is it in a nutshell.
    </Returning CNC_Works Ramble Program cleaner than I found it!>

The only flaw i find with having a SawStop in your shop is that you have several other tools still there ready and willing to take a finger, so until they all have that technology we are going o have plenty of missing digits.
    But it is an amazing piece of technology.

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    The only flaw I find with having a SawStop in your shop is that you have several other tools still there ready and willing to take a finger, so until they all have that technology we are going o have plenty of missing digits.
    But it is an amazing piece of technology.
    What are your thoughts on a garage door opener?
    Surely people have been killed by such a cruel device?http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...outh-side.html
    Do we need OSHA training?
    Should professionals be called before opening our garage doors?

Frankly...I don't see why static can't simply reverse the direction of the saw blade? We should settle for cutting our fingers nearly in half rather than scraping the skin off a hotdog!

The problem I have with this man winning this lawsuit is he purchased one of the cheapest saws he could find. High quality saws have better guards. You can buy after market guards etc. I don’t see where this guy was shopping for safety at all.
    Dan

i split my thumd directly down the middle with the unisaw in 07, purchased cnc shortly thereafter.

jim

Thumbs up

Here is a link to a wrist injury I had happen in our shop June 09, I have been back in the shop working since 0ct 09 and getting stronger by the day. No lawyers, no lawsuits, no insurance, just grit.

http://www.plantasymaderasgardenbenc...-to-edit3.html

GC
    Vector Studio 22

Do I understand correctly that the yellow bar on the PRS is not really a brace, but just lets you know "here comes the router"?

One can hardly protect everyone from everything, people have lost fingers trimming hedges with lawnmowers...

Quote Originally Posted by curtiss View Post
    Do I understand correctly that the yellow bar on the PRS is not really a brace, but just lets you know "here comes the router"?

One can hardly protect everyone from everything, people have lost fingers trimming hedges with lawnmowers...
    I think it was Bubba, 280 pounds of pure beer drinking ignorance located in the deep south that gave us the lawn mower you can't walk away from.
    Inebriated, he picked up his trusty POS mower and attempted to trim his hedge. Never mind the fact "Bubba" and "manicured hedges" clash on the surface and should never be used in a sentence.

After the appropriate prayers were offered: "Hey ya'll, watch this!"

Bubba lost control of his gravity operated lawn mowing device misused to trim a hedge and proceeded to chop both his arms off at the elbow.

The resulting court case punished every single user across America with counter intuitive mower system. In a freaky offshoot of unintended consequences new mower rules has been a boon to electrical and duct tape sales!

Don't get me wrong! Nothing wrong with drinking beer. Nothing wrong with the South. Nothing wrong with innovation. Nothing wrong with trimmed hedges. There is something wrong when stupidity of .0001% of Americans is paid for by 100% of those possessing some form of common sense.

Curtiss....That yellow bar??? It's a cow catcher! ;-)

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

I cut the tip off of my left thumb first , then a few years later i did the right one ( just so they were even NOT ) Now i am more careful. No i didnt call a lawyer. I just called myself careless, stupid, and a few other things i cant put on here . My Fault , and i take responsibility for it. Thats life. deal with it .
    I sure hope they appeal this and the guy dont get a thing.