Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential ShopBot Owner

Default Potential ShopBot Owner

Wanted to introduce myself as a future owner.

I’ve looked through this forum for a while now and researched other various CNC routers. Narrowed it down to a ShopBot as my choice.

I spent some time with Robert Ball last weekend, who turns out is located only a few miles away. He was gracious enough to give me a great overview. I am also planning on attending the Jamboree in Durham next month as a learning event.

I am focusing on the 48 x 48 PRS standard with a router. A spindle is desired but probably out of my budget unless I can find a good used unit.

I currently have two lasers, a 30w and a 100w. Want to sell the 30w to help fund the Bot or trade for one. The first laser started out as a hobby and then I needed more power for heavier cutting. Starting to make some money now to supplement my retirement.

I think the Bot will start out as a hobby as well until I get some experience and start integrating it with some of the laser work and find new opportunties.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

Bruce

Bruce

I have never seen the support from any company that Shopbot gives with their machines. The guys on this forum are experienced and always willing to help.
    Tracy Spitulski
    KenCraft Co Inc.
    PRSa 6096
    www.kencraftcompany.com
    Hardwood Lumber, Custom Millwork
    Dust Collector Fittings

4896...in less than a 6th month period after your initial learning curve you will wish you had.....a bigger table

GC
    Vector Studio 22

Gene is right Bruce, I started out looking at a 48 x 48 Buddy, and ordered a 48 x 96 PRSa, then changed the order a few days later to a 60 x 96. I only wish it was 120 once in awhile.
    Tracy Spitulski
    KenCraft Co Inc.
    PRSa 6096
    www.kencraftcompany.com
    Hardwood Lumber, Custom Millwork
    Dust Collector Fittings

Since you've been using your lasers for awhile you are many steps ahead of most of the newbies. Download the ShopBot software from the website and see how much of it you already can figure out. It runs in simulation mode so 'Bot Away'. P.S. 48x96 is a minimum machine if there is an opportunity to turn it into a business. Russ

@ Bruce,

Regarding lasers....what does 30 watts and 100 watts do for you?
    How much cutting can actually be done?
    I've had parts flame, plasma and water jet cut before but never anything laser cut.

Does the 30 or 100 watt machine cut parts or burn into parts?

If it does cut through material....what stop the laser from cutting your machine?

Any thoughts of mounting a laser on a SB?

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

If you have the room go for the bigger table.

Default Follow Up

I see that most suggest the bigger Bot. How about a little rational for the size? I don't see myself in the cabinet business, mainly smaller products. I though 48 x 48 would give me some upward flexibility. I realize that you could set up more smaller parts on a larger machine and reduce setup time but the 48 x 96 is huge.

One reason I like the Bot is it comes apart so I can get it through the basement door and it will be able to be moved in the future if I move.

As for the laser cutting, the higher the power the cleaner and faster the cut. I have cut 3/8 acrylic and do a lot of work with Baltic Birch 1/8 and 1/4. The worse you get is a little smoke on thicker wood which is easily sanded off. If the wood is pre-finished, you can just wipe it off with a damp cloth. For engraving the both work equally well.

Bruce

One reason for the 48x96 is that's the size many materials come it. For the 4x4 you'll have to cut down ply or mdf before putting it on the machine.

It always seems that once someone gets a shopbot, they find the potential and desire to do things other than what their original focus was. Often these new directions lead toward larger projects than originally intended. I started with a 4x8 PR, moved up to a 5x10 PRT, and now am setting up a 6x12 PRS.

Another thing to consider about the 4x4 is the potentialy smaller resale market if purchasing a new PRS or the smaller pool of available machines if looking for a used machine.

You'll be very happy with the 4x4, but I too would recommend the 4x8 if you have the room for it.
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

Bruce,

I started with a Buddy thinking I would only be doing small carvings and cutout work. Within 4 months my business model morphed because of customer demand. I'm now doing full size fireplace mantles with carvings, large 3D carved signs, coffee tables with 3D carvings and lots more cabinetry then I did before (because I can, and there's lots money to be made in cabinets).

I upgraded to a 60x96 PRS Alpha and am so glad I did. Baltic Birch comes in 60x60 sheets, as you are very aware. All my drawer boxes are made from 5/8" pre-finished Baltic Birch. Fitting these sheets on a 48" table is tough unless you spend time at the table saw calculating how big to make each piece to maximize material use on the SB. I'd rather use a whole piece of Baltic Birch and nest the parts for maximum utilization.

Just some ramblings....
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.