Thread: Local Business

Default Local Business

Well I visited my niece who works for ou local Chamber of Commerce this morning. They are doing some renovations and I noticed some nice new maple display cabinets for tourism literature. I asked my niece of the other guy (the other professional cabinet maker in the area) built them and she said no they got them from IKEA. Really ticked me off as they are always bragging for people to buy local and my niece told my they didn't even bother to get a quote from any local companies just ordered them from big box store. Last time I renew my membership that is for sure. Very disappointing as these are tough times and local business could use the work. Not sure if I am going to register a complaint as I do not want to get my niece in trouble.

I find that the cost of materials cost more than the completed cabinets.
    I find these groups like "The Chamber of Commerce" only want you to join for their profit!

Glen

Did you think to say some thing to the people at the Chamber? I am not on their side but it might help you and other business to point out your concern. But isn't Ikea a local business if they have a store in your area?

I here you Glen and understand your frustration especially in a smaller center where you would think shop local would be much more important . In larger centres we don't even try to compete with Ikea . As someone mentioned you can get stuff there for less than the cost of materials . Ikea does generate business for all cabinet makers at some point . It seems everyone goes through the Ikea stage in their life and after loading it out to the curb they are ready to move up to 'adult' furniture and goods. Contrasted to your coments is the media reports of what they call the 'sunshine list' in our province of the balooning list of public servants earning 6 figures and MUCH higher . It seems rather sad that something as simple as a rack card for local tourism couldn't be made locally but the convenenience of shopping online means people are less likely to get out of their chair to go see a local craftsman so I guess you need to find a way to be in their face for future business.

The tricky part is registering your complaint without getting black listed in some form .