Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5mm Holes drilled incorrectly

Default 5mm Holes drilled incorrectly

Has anyone run across this problem. In a job i just machined two upper cabinets sides had their holes drilled in the wrong spot. One side was offset from the other by about 5mm. I checked the cabinets in the Lde and they all checked out. These cabinet all came from the same seed cabinet. Also I tried previously to equalize my shelf holes in the shelf editer so I wouldn't have to check for left or right sides. For some reason that didn't work.They turned out to be about 5mm offset than what they showed in the Lde. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Mike

Michael...
    Did you check the location of these holes in the nest? Were they correct?

As the parts sat on the table, was the 5mm difference in the X or Y direction? Have you used the "center in circle" file to check your drill offsets recently? I had this problem, it wasnt bad with hinge bores but made draw slides almost a 1/16 (1mm+) skewed. My Y drill offset was listed as .023 when it should have been -.023

If you cant find it, send me a pic of the holes that shows the error and also send the HSF of that seed or the ESJ
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Hi Gary,
    I did check the file in the nest and I have run other jobs successfully after this. It was odd that it was just 2 sides out of all the upper cabinets. I did check to see if it might have been in the y axis so I cut one in the x and produced the same result. I just recut a side from a diffrent cab in the same nest to replace the ones that were wrong. it sucks that I have to check all the holes on the uppers to find lefts and rights but even after adjusting the shelf pattern holes they would not cut the same as drawn.
    I don't have time for labels. I will look into the offsets that you mentioned and I'll send you the job file time permiting with the sides that drilled wrong. I might have to send this one to Thermwood. The file is at the shop so I might grab my laptop while I'm there tomorrow. Thank you for your suggestions
    Mike

Mike...
    One of the things that I most always do is add a single assembly mark to the bottom right and a double to the upper left. Since eCabs offsets the pin holes by 1/2 shelf thickness a cabinet assembled using 2 rights or 2 lefts looks good but has crooked shelves. This happens often, especially when assembled by employees. I learned this from Nat W. when using CPPro.

If the hole location is not the same as shown in the nest, then it's a good idea to send it to Thermwood. They will sort it out quickly. Dont forget to include an export from the Link along with the ESJ.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Thanks for the tip Gary! That will make life a lot easier. I avoided the assembly marks just for the time it added to a nest. I draw, machine and assemble most of the time so it wasn't a feature I was interested in.
    Mike

Mike..
    We are using both the assembly marks and labels on almost all pieces as 80%+ of our work is wholesale to other shops. They love 'em! On my machine I doubt it adds a minute to the sheet time. That minute is cheap insurance for a do-over.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

Albert Einstein

On wall cabinets I guess you guys don't run the deck to the wall.
    This ensures left and right sides.

Roger...
    I am not sure what you mean in your post above. We do run the decks to the wall on uppers, but with blind dados and a 1/4" back inset the differences are subtle. Easier for you and I to distinguish than many that assemble our products.

Also, some of our wholesale product uses a fully captured back and these are the same on both the top & bottom of the sides.

If I have missinterpreted your post, set me straight.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

Albert Einstein

If you have your files set up to run the decks to the wall and capture at least 3 sides of the back then the left and right side of the cabinet can not be confused. They can only be used 1 place because the blind dado for the back stops at the deck.
    If you don't run the deck to the wall and use a butt joint for the back at the deck the sides of that cabinet can be confused. If you flip 1 over and use it on the wrong side the holes will NOT line up.

As a side note I try to only do this on a wall cabinet decks. Anywhere else it does not show. This limits the number of flip ops for a job, which is a time saver and has less change for error by the part moving during flip op cuts.

Roger...
    I agree with the following caveat: Assume the person assembling the cabinet did not design it. Assume that he did not cut it, nor has he ever seen the shop where it was cut, nor has he met the designer/cutter. He also hasnt spoken to the designer/cutter because the ol fart forgot the Spanish he thought he learned in High School!
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

Albert Einstein