Thread: Zeroing z without closing the link data

Default Zeroing z without closing the link data

I was cutting cabinets yesterday and that job called for 2 different material thickness (.625 and .75). 10 sheets were nested, the first 5 were cut, then i had to z zero for the next 5 sheets. The only way i could do it was getting out of the link data, z zero,nest, write to shopbot again and carry on with the job. I dont realy have a problem with this but, will the nest be the same because, i will be printing lables at the beginning of the job with a dymo 400 and the lables may not match on the second nest.

If anyone knows the good way to do this, i would appreciate a little advise. I dont do any tool change and using one spindle. Thanks

Andre...
    This is the main difference between the toolchanger files that I devoloped and the ones that ShopBot has distributed. I personally think that the toolchanger files SHOULD require zero to bed, as this was the intent of the Link programmers. Zero to bed allows much greater accuracy and also allows for material thickness' to change in a multi thickness job.

I saw a post some time back where Ryan for SB posted a way to allow this to happen, but couldnt find it. If you can't find it with a forum search, send an email to SB tech supt and I am sure they can fix you up.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

A agree with Gary, Z to the bed was done by Thermwood to take care is this and it does a great job of it. The program just continues along like nothing has changed.

The second nest will give you the same labels and layout it is just an inconvenience to stop the program Z-zero, restart the program and write to ShopBot. It was never intended to work this way.

Thermwoods complete system was well thought out and works very well including the flip ops.
    Last edited by thewoodcrafter; 06-02-2010 at 12:55 AM.

To add to this....
    My MTC files have a provision to rezero after a manual bit change in either the spindle or the drill. Testing showed that this gives both inconsistant and erroneous results due mostly to differences in plywood thickness and how well each sheet is being held to the spoilboard.

I have added a separate zero block that is offset from the spoilboard by a variable. This has resulted is substantially better parts.

Side note: This is my last week with the MTC files of either version. We are off to the ATC files on the newsd machine. It may be a month or so, but stand by for reports!
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

I bet you don't even get it warmed up before you are making custom files for it. lol

Kenneth
    Kenneth

Kenneth...
    You are right... did have to tweak a few files, not for workability, just comvenience. SB has a good system that tracks all bit lengths using a daylight method.

There are offsets to take care of all differences in height between the fixed Z plate and the material or bed. A couple tweaks to incorporate the ZSHIFT and I am ready to rock and roll. I added the ZSHIFT variable to our VCPro posts a while back. Design from the top, cut from the bottom... great combo!

I cant believe the difference in power between my 4hp spindle on single phase and the 5hp ATC brute on 3 phase power. It seems like double the HP. And toolchanges are painless and quick.

Just wanted to let you know, that for the first time, you were not wrong!!!
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

Albert Einstein