Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: My latest guitar

Working on the 3rd video in the series, and I have a question for you all...

I've done the first 2 videos focusing on Aspire v2.5. I was wanting to do the remaining videos with Aspire v3.0. Question is, how many of you have not upgraded to 3.0? Anyone not planning on the upgrade? There are changes to the UI which will change the video, but I believe that its not that difficult to apply concepts that I will use with 3.0 in the old version.

Scott...

P.S. Attached a picture of the fretboard that I am working on..
    Attached Images Attached Images

If I could draw on your past experience for a bit I'd like to know what the biggest drawback to making guitars is for you and what was the impetus for you in deciding that it was what you wanted to do in the first place. BTW it looks so good that I'd like to hear how it sounds. -harry

Quote Originally Posted by quietpainter View Post
    If I could draw on your past experience for a bit I'd like to know what the biggest drawback to making guitars is for you and what was the impetus for you in deciding that it was what you wanted to do in the first place. BTW it looks so good that I'd like to hear how it sounds. -harry
    I'd have to say that the biggest drawback to making guitars for me at this point is the time that I can spend doing it. I love making them. Of course if you would have asked me this 15 years ago, it would have been about the information available to learn, and the tools to do it. But I hope to change that all with the video series.

What got me into this? Funny answer, but probably common to most guitar builders. I was in one of my first bands as a guitar player. I also had a lust for lots of guitars. After buying a few off the shelf that sounded like everyone elses I thought "Hey, I think I can build one that sounds better". Well, I still have that guitar. I still play it once and a while. It does sound great, but it looks like ****. Thats the thing that keeps me coming back. Every guitar that I build gets a little better in some way. The CNC machine helps me tweek those designs and make them better over time. Today, I have more guitars than I care to admit, and I havent bought one off the shelf for 15 years. I wouldn't even dream of it cause the guitars that I love to play sound and feel better to me than anything I can buy.

Thanks for asking,
    Scott...
    http:\\www.rmgvideos.com
    Last edited by sagreen; 02-03-2011 at 05:58 PM.

Default A project from Scott's Video series

I've been working through Scott's videos in my "spare" time and following his instructions to design a guitar. I have not only never done anything like this but I also have never played a guitar and knew almost nothing about the technical aspects of doing one when I started. I also do my work in Artcam Pro which meant adapting the methods to somewhat different software. It has been a very interesting and fun project to date and would have been nearly impossible without Scott's most excellent and detailed instructions.

To make matters more interesting the design that I chose as my jumping off point was based on a guitar with somewhat different parameters and some of the construction elements are quite a bit different and my end result, when I finally get there, will be one that is neither a copy of the original design I used or just as the one that Scott modeled from.

The balance of getting the shape and sizes right and also placing all of the electronics just so is a tricky one as the technical requirements to (hopefully) end up with an instrument that sounds right as well as looks good I have learned are actually pretty complicated.

That being said, I have gotten to the point that I am comfortable showing my progress to date on the shape of the body. The only thing I don't like is the shape of the ridges running up the middle of the horns and I am debating whether to solve this by simply sanding them down to a softer edge and sweep after machining or redoing this part of the project to get it the way I want in the model.

The next step will be to carve a mock-up in MDF and finalize my vector placement for the pickups, bridge, controls, and neck-pocket.
    Attached Images Attached Images