Thread: funny stuff going on...

Default funny stuff going on...

Hello everyone. I was hoping someone could help me out with a problem I am having with my shopbot. I have a prt96 and I have 2 questions/issues:

1. I keep getting a subscript out of range (9) error in my part file.

It happens on a line like this:

M3,5.520,2.475,-.016

M3,5.499,2.472,.000

JZ,.250

J2,5.328,6.815

JZ,.100

MS,1.667

MZ,-.105 (here is where it errors out)

MS,3.333

M3,5.331,6.814,-.102

I then modified the code by changing that line and it errors out further down with a MZ, -.105. I changed it to a -.104 for giggles and it also errored out. There are plenty of other moves in the file where the Z went deeper (at least to -.160) without any problems. The only way I got it to work was to limit the z moves to -.1. It was an engraving file so the letters still came out ok. I cut parts (engraved signs) like this ALL the time and this is the first time I had this issue. What the heck is going on here? I cut a huge file with no problems just the other day. Then this small file wreaks havoc on my machine. Am I missing something? Note: this issue happened while I was using an older version of the software (I don’t know what version) and version 3.4.27 when I updated to it to try to fix the problem.

2. During the trouble shooting of the issue above, I thought it might be time to update my software. I grabbed what I thought was the latest version. (Sb3.6.16) It’s been so long since I updated (maybe a year) and I didn’t even know if I had the “Version 4 or later control board.” I know…I should have known. In any event, Sb3.6.16 couldn’t connect to the machine (I assume because I probably have the older control board,) so I installed 3.4.27. Incidentally….this version warns me to remove the alligator plate. My older version doesn’t do that so I MUST have had an older version. In any event, when I zero my z axis, I use the zero plate routine using “C2” command. It comes down, touches my plate, gives me the warning, and then does not move up. It stays on the plate and finally zeros. Here’s the weird thing. Once it’s “zeroed” (even though the bit is touching the plate) the software shows the Z value incrementing to 1.0 but the z axis is not moving. When all is said and done, my Z axis is touching the plate, but my Z value reads 1.0. Hmmmm…The only think I can think of is that maybe something got screwed up when I installed the incorrect version of the software. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!.

-Keith

some people have reported problems when installing new versions and i vaguely recall to fix their particular problem was to totally uninstall the previous version and all ini and dlls then reinstall the newer version rather then just trying to update or install a new version over an old one.

Not sure that this is what your problem is but i would bet it is software related as opposed to a mechanical issue.
    oh yeah you also have to update your firmware with newer versions also. Did you do that after you installed the new version?

Keith, I have a PRT4896 and I think that unless you have the 4g upgrade you are limited to the 3.4.27 version of the software. I think I read that sometime ago here on the forum when the 4g came out. If I am wrong about this someone will correct me I'm sure.
    Dave

Thanks everyone. I will try reinstalling everything from the ground up. Where can I get a firmware update? I didn't see it when I downloaded the control software. Thanks.

it is within the software. Look under
    [U]tilities/
    [I]nstall controlbox firmware

from the main control interface type a UI

If you are having persistent problems when the machine performs a certain series of moves, the problem might be deeper than it originally seems. Before you reload, update drivers, re-set everything just try a few simple steps. Not sure if your problem can be solved by these steps but it is always nice to see when you can move past a problem in minutes not hours.

Here are a few things that I have solved similar problems with:

1. Make sure your vectors are clean and not segmented. In the cutting area, check to see if your vectors could be overlapping, or possibly not joined.

2. Check connection speed

3. Recreate and save a new toolpath and try it again

4. Make sure your e-centric bearings on your z are not too tight. If they are too tight, they can cause the machine to loose steps and this will flag an error.

These might not be the issues, but think simple before you go into teardown mode.

good luck.....Justin