View Poll Results: What are your Disaster Recovery Plans? (Select all that apply)

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like excitement, burn baby burn!

2 2.82%
  • I copy only my working files to a USB drive or CD

19 26.76%
  • I backup my entire system (full OS, files etc...)

19 26.76%
  • I backup when I remember or feel like it

14 19.72%
  • I backup regularly

29 40.85%
  • I run on a RAID to improve my odds

9 12.68%
  • I store my backups in a firesafe or offsite

19 26.76%
  • I know how and have recovered from a backup before

20 28.17%
  • If I had to use my backup... I'd have no idea what to do

4 5.63%
  • I am clueless and have no idea where to start

3 4.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do You Backup?

Default Backups...

All of my machines are backed up nightly (automatically) by Windows Home Server... and it has saved my butt numerous times!!!

I design on a laptop [my mobile connection], do cleanup and fine tuning on a desktop with large flatscreen, then move to my Shopbot control machine and cut from there. WHS includes (out of the box) shared folders and that is where files go when they're ready - which means there's another copy in addition to what is on the machines.

I've had hard drives fail - lost the HD in my laptop last fall, went to Best Buy and bought a relplacement, plugged it in and ran the recovery from WHS and 1 hr later I was back up and running, everything restored (even the desktop icons were in the exact same place I'd left 'em!).

I've also had those senior moments when I've deleted or changed something only to realize my mistake. I've opened the WHS control panel, pulled the last backup for that machine and pulled the file I needed out. Hasn't been that easy before - usually lotsa cussing and kicking myself. Life is SO much easier now!!

One additional thing i do when working on a project is a generally backup revisions of each file in various stages like:

doHickey1.dxf
    doHickey1a.dxf
    doHickey1b.dxf etc until i finsh working on a project then maybe name it
    doHickey1FINAL.dxf

I use software that does versioning. so if I save the same file 4 times I have all 4 version back as long as I want them. this is why I went with dropbox. for 35.00 extra a year they will keep all of my versions for forever. to me that's the most important backup. I may save that file several times in a day.

steve makes a good point that it probably is best to have an offsite backup in case the house burns down it wouldn't matter if you had the 3 backup harddrives.

Although if your house burns down I suspect that the least of your concern would be shopbot files....

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    steve makes a good point that it probably is best to have an offsite backup in case the house burns down it wouldn't matter if you had the 3 backup harddrives.

Although if your house burns down I suspect that the least of your concern would be shopbot files....
    very true. I sync with my computer at home and with dropbox so that's offsite in two locations. then two free online services. it would be impossible to duplicate some of the stuff I have done.

Default mac

Quote Originally Posted by navigator7 View Post
    Mac and Carbonite.
    What's a virus?
    are you running shopbot software on mac?

I have a emac with Ubuntu 12.04 that I would like to try and run shopbot control software on just wonder if there are any other shop botters out there using mac.

thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by chadagmsign; 12-06-2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Left off Ubuntu Version

Version control is also a great thing to have. That makes a copy of a directory and allows the directory contents to be "reverted" or un-deleted back to any save point.

I have been using Mercurial with TortoiseHg. Then if I make a change to a project .. updating the SBP files in Aspire, then discover somebody wants another one just like the version two generations back. Just what was that? You can save the state of any part of a directory or directory tree you wish.

Mercurial lets me back up two revisions cut the part just like it was months ago, then go back to the modern version.

Another feature it has is the ability to "split" a project and make two versions of it both sharing a common ancestry.

Now the bad news: Its not hard to use, but its not obvious either. Once it becomes part of daily life its really easy.

A real life saver. Not only that, but if I have a hard disk crash, all the Hg files get backed up too.. so I can still revert to any version saved prior to the backup.

Oh.. now the good news: Its free.

External backups are still mandatory!

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

Quote Originally Posted by knight_toolworks View Post
    I use dropbox to sync my home computer and work computer I also bought the save changed files forever option. my home computer is backed up with time machine and and two free online backup programs.
    This is almost exactly what I am doing also.

I'll just drop the latest folder with all my cnc stuff into dropbox. I keep 2 or three dated folders back. It goes to 3 different computers, one of them a mac that gets timemachined.

I use Genie Timeline and my machine is backed up real time. Anytime a file gets changed, it is automatically backed up. I have mine set up to keep 3 revisions of a file. I use two external backup USB drives and they rotate through my safety deposit box on a regular basis.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.