Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is Z-speed set differently than X/Y-speed?

Default Why is Z-speed set differently than X/Y-speed?

I'm not sure why the Z-speed is always set slower than the X/Y-speed. I can imagine that it has something to do with stress on the bit when plunging vs. lateral cutting, but I can't think why it would matter when moving at the jog speed. All of my motors (X1, X2, Y, and Z) are identical, so I don't think that has anything to do with it. Do you know why Z-speeds are set differently than X/Y speeds?

I'd sure love to understand this better.

Those of us who have spindles use a lower Z-speed when plunging to save the bearings on the spindle. My Colombo spindle has bearings designed for sideways pressure on the cutter. The chart on the PDS-Colombo website shows that you should use 10% of the lateral speed when doing a direct plunge (60 degrees to 90 degrees). When ramping into the cut, you can go progressively faster, until at 20-degrees or less, you can use the full lateral speed for plunging.

Default Z-Speed...

I'm not sure the entire reasoning behind it. But I do 3D (2 1/2D really) on the shopbot with modeled parts from Rhino. In Rhino you can adjust every little thing you want, I've tried to move the Z-speed to the same as the X, Y. It just ends up slowing the machine down in cut time. I've ran a few tests and it took about 20% longer if the Z speed is at the same as the X, Y. Also if you have the Z-speed to slow it does the same (although i'm sure this one is more obvious). Plus I would get a jumping Z which ultimately transferred to the finished part.

about the max on the z is 6ips. the z is what slows down 3d as it can't keep up.

Default z pinon

I believe the z pinon gear is different from x & y which has some effect on the plunge speed.

I like the "spiral" / ramping cut for most of my final profile cut outs. The z is always slowly going down with no sudden drops in the final profile.

my prtalpha has the same pinions as all the other axises.

Vector Studio 22

Why would you need the Z to move fast (10 - 12 IPS) when it is only moving at most 2"?
    Would you even know the difference from 6 - 12IPS?
    When I cut 2D stuff my safe Z is only .25 above the material anyway.

it would only really benefit on 3d work. as the z is what slows it down for the most part.

Like others have said...it has to do with ramping speeds...at least that is my understanding. If you are trying to move the z at 6 inches it may actually be slower due to a longer ramp up than a 3 inch speed move because of its shorter ramping needs. Also as you said in the first post...to protect the bit. I have a standard machine and more than a couple of times have lost Z position due to being overly aggressive...I think the only time I've lost X and Y position was due to poor communication between the computer and controller. High Z move speeds might work well at the start of a file, but at the bit dulls or gets any sort of build up on it you may have problems. I generally am very conservative with Z speeds.