Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D carving in plywood

Default 3D carving in plywood

I am thinking about making a bathroom cabinet to hang bathrobes, ect in and i have a question. As a practice piece long ago i recall using a piece of plywood to carve a 3d piece in and it looked pretty crappy due to the differing woods per veneer plys but i wondered if it was a piece you were going to paint instead of stain has anyone used plywood to do anything like this with any sucess?

I think i know the answer with voids and other defects it probably wouldn't turn out very good but i thought i'd ask.

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

You do know the answer. Between the voids , delamination of small pieces and the fuzzies i would not consider it worth while unless you need fancy firewood.

baltic birch may work for the job it cuts cleanly with most bits. my favorite plywood.

jack do the 3d in solid wood, pocket out a base area say 1/8th inch in the ply and mount the 3d in it

looks rich and well done

Someone posterd a picture either here or on the Vectric forum of a 3D dragon done in plywood. I thought it came out very well. I liked them so much I decided to try myself. Will try and post a photo. Straight off machine with 5 mins hand sanding and a couple of coats of lacquer.

Managed to attach so you may or may not like.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by penman; 05-29-2010 at 05:55 AM.

James I like your suggestion except the whole door was going to be a carving so that may not work. I was trying to get away with doing it the easy way but I think i can get some poplar and glue it together to make a door and go that route i was just trying to save some time and do it out of some type of sheet stock.

Jack
    If you are not cutting to deep you may want to consider some of the combination core plywoods which are now available. It has a standard veneer core in the center but also has a layer of MDF under each face veneer. I have never used this type of plywood so I don't how thick the MDF layers are.

Hello Jack, long time since we last spoke. My PRT isn't near my side much these days so I really don't do much posting. I often feel there is much better and more current information out there than what I have, BUT, as I read your question regarding 3D in plywood, I decided to pull a picture of one I did about 6-7 years ago.
    It was cut in 1/4" Baltic Birch Plywood (7 ply). I think it came out rather well and the different ply's add a certain character to it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~woodnmore...work%20042.htm

Hope this helps.

Hi Perry!
    I like your picture but i think your outcome, while good, is not typical of the average outcome which is far less desirable was probably more likely.
    The variables that i see that determine sucess or failure may have more to do with 1) depth of your 3d file 2) location and species of the various plys 3) and the number of plys.

So where have you been and why haven't you been making sawdust?

Hi Jack,
    You are right on all 3 points. I did a run of sports figures (mostly NASCAR drivers), family members (Best was my son's grad photo) and such, typically with consistant results using the Baltic Birch. I typically kept the depth to <50% of the total. There is enough ply's in this that it created a great effect in in that shallow (0.125") depth.

I have been working in Alberta, Canada for the last 4 years. Wife and kids are still in Ontario, with my PRT. I don't get home much, but am trying to remedy that. But as such, when I do get home, "making dust" ends up low on the priority list.

I am hoping that 2012 will change things around and I will have the luxury of getting re-acquainted with the PRT.

Hope all is good in your corner and trust that the Christmas Season finds you and your family well.