Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z Zero Plate Operation - Comments?

Default Z Zero Plate Operation - Comments?

Hi All,

I'm a little shy of using the Z Zero plate up to now. I have the SW set at the correct plate thickness (0.125" in my case) but early results (when I was even less experienced than my current inexperienced state!) were less than encouraging. Now I'm up to using shiny and expensive 60 degree V bits, I just don't want to risk breaking the tip off such a piece of gold. Without some easy to use and accurate zeroing system, accurately zeroing Z, especially with the stock dust foot fitted, is a real chore. Also, when using a flat area clearance tool, the need for accuracy on the vee bit zero is magnified, hence the need for a better method.

What to others do? Does the Z really stop instantaneously, as soon as it makes contact? Any comments would be greatfully received.

The only thing I have though of to date is to use a slow Z speed when zeroing to cut down on Z axis inertia and momentum but whilst I'm brave, I'm not that brave!

"There are old Pilots and bold Pilots, but there are few old, bold Pilots'

Regards

Steve

you might try the super zero plate. It zeros z and can zero x and y at the same time. the program seems to be a bit softer landing than the z zero routine. That said, I have never had any problem snapping a tip off a bit with either. the only thing that I watch out for is to make sure (by touching the bit to the plate) that I have continuity.

One thing to do is , use the keyboard to lower the bit close to the plate, escape, C2, then the plunge is slower. Although I have never chipped a V bit either, sometimes I drop it down as I'm impatient. Being so close to the plate doesn't allow any ramping up. , Oh by the way, I think we all still break bits ( I do, less frequently albeit )

I have used the Z zero plate with v bits from a large height and have never had a problem with any bit breakage. I believe the normal Z zero plate thickness is .121 not .125

Also, the z zero plate is aluminum which is a lot softer then the carbide tip of the V-bit. You'll notice indentations in the z plate but no damage to bits.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

I have been using my ZZ plate with sharp V bits without any problems. I forget the thickness of my plate, but I did check it with calipers before I set it. I think I remember the default being correct.
    Last edited by michael_schwartz; 06-02-2010 at 04:12 AM.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

I amended the standard Z routine to remove the initial "fast" move and do only one slow move. Seems to be gentler that way.

I always touch the plate on the bit before starting the routine to make sure contact is being made as well.

If the bit is indenting the aluminum would the zero not be out that amount?

RIB

Steven...
    Many of us have "tuned" the speeds and move distances in the OEM Zzero file to make them suit our needs. You may want to slow down the speeds of both the initial and second pass. Also, I have made the second pass roll back shorter.

With thousands of these out there in use daily, I am sure if they werent accurate, there would be noise. There is a much greater chance that some other factor would create an inaccuracy than the plate and zzero routine. Most of these are adjustments to the motion parts and should be part of your routine maintenence.

Once the bit is zeroed, you can MZ to the plate thickness and use the plate as a feeler gauge to check how accurate the routine was.

My old plate was .122, my new one is .1245. They do vary so make sure you mic yours in a few places.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

I too have never seen any damage to my V-bits, but am wondering about the smaller, more fragile bits such as a 1/16" or 1/32" ball-nose. I'm also wondering if smaller bit surface area affects the rate of current flow and hence the accuracy of the Z-zero routine. I suppose this might be true of pin-point V-bits as well. Any thoughts on this from the experts?