Thread: ShopBot Controller - Next Generation - What would you do?

Hybrid View

Default ShopBot Controller - Next Generation - What would you do?

I'd like people's opinions about what the next generation of Shopbot controller should be like.

Should they use a dedicated card like WinCNC so that the CPU isn't tied up running the machine, i.e. all the pulses are handled by the card?

Should the control box INCLUDE it's own dedicated PC internally? The shop computer would essentially be used to send files to the controller and perhaps handle some keyboard commands, but the internal PC actually runs the machine.

Should Shopbot switch over to a controller that can run Mach3?

What are some ways to eliminate the pesky COMM errors that plague some people?

Any other thoughts?
    - Randall Newcomb
    10 fingers in, 10 fingers out
    another good day in the shop

I like the idea of a stand alone cnc. Download the program to the drivers and let it go. All my Motion stuff is like this and I love it. This would make it so you do not have to have a second computer for design and the design computer would send the program to the cards. You could even disconnect the design computer from the Shopbot.

I dont have a new system (PRS) with the new software I am using Part works, solid works and Artcam (sometimes) for design and Thats OK. I do plan on getting Vectric Aspire when I start using the machine more. Shopbot is an excellant system for the price the way it is.

We are using a 2001 PRT and a 2004 PRT ALPHA I purchased both new and Love what can be done.

I would like to see a totally dedicated, rack mounted PC for SB Control.

Also I would like to have the cutting file sound a loud tone when it is done with a job.

George D Kelly
    Last edited by ironsides; 06-16-2010 at 09:04 PM. Reason: moronic typo's

Randall.....
    Dedicated card woud be OK, Internal dedicated CPU would be better.

Mach?... dont care. If I go to a Gcode system it will be included with a different color machine. Maybe yellow. Not the machine, I want a yellow crane to lift it off the truck and a big yellow forklift to set it in place.

Comm... I have posted a bunch. Some even worked.

George...
    Take a .wav file you like that is loud and copy it to your C:\SbParts folder.
    Add this to your post right before the end:
    PLAY C:\SbParts\{filename}
    PAUSE {number of seconds you want file to play}
    END (should be there)
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

My next SB controller should show up every morning at 7 rain or shine, take a 10 minute break at 9, 30 min at 12, make sure that when he does so he just started a new file running, and keep working all the way till 3:30!

I'll be there at 7 on the 7th of July. Can I get paid by the sheet? Can I bring my own software and CNC? Can I make coffee?
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

I kind of lean towards the dedicated card over the stand alone PC, though mostly because I fear the cost and/or the difficulties of maintaining a PC that will quickly become outdated (parts/peripherals/ports etc. that won't keep up with PC trends -- I've had lots of bad experiences with this in dedicated computer lighting control boards, including one that is only about 10 years old and wants me to run files from 3.5" floppy; imagine having to do something like that for your "Bot of the Future" 10 years from now, such as your WinCNC card being too big for the card slots on a replacement board).

I must say, though, that I also like the idea of having a design computer that could feed cutting files to a dedicated controller...

I also would like to drop the USB to serial bridge (assuming that hasn't already happened since my Bot was purchased -- 2007).

Lastly, wouldn't it be great if there could be greater two-way communication between the steppers and the control software? (E.g. A command to move X number of steps is followed by X number of steps being counted in the motor and returned as successful or not so that the X/Y/Z position would never go out of sync, or at bootup, a query would return the X/Y positions rather than having to re-zero.) Again, I fear costs and smell a certain amount of science fiction where we all visualize a world full of flying cars...

Quote Originally Posted by islaww View Post

George...
    Take a .wav file you like that is loud and copy it to your C:\SbParts folder.
    Add this to your post right before the end:
    PLAY C:\SbParts\{filename}
    PAUSE {number of seconds you want file to play}
    END (should be there)
    Gary,
    Thanks for the tip about adding a .wav file at the end of my cut files, it works great.

George

It would be nice to eliminate the comm errors. This would, I assume, necessitate putting a "PC" inside the controller. Use a USB key or a network cable to download the files to the controller and let her rip.

The PC inside the controller should be comprised of one of the mini mother boards available. This way as technology changes, the board can be upgraded as the technology gets better. The controller could have the necessary plugs to accept keyboards (wireless preferred), mouse and monitor.

The ability to remove much of the two-way communications issues would be a major step up. I would even pay to upgrade my controller to a new one with these features.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.