Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Detroit Camp/Maker Faire !!!

Default 2010 Detroit Camp/Maker Faire !!!

I know that this is kind of short notice, but we had originally planned to go to the first Maker Faire in Detroit ( http://www.hfmgv.org/events/makerFaire.aspx) with one person, one of the new smaller machines, and some brochures. However there has been SO much interest in both the Faire, and our presence there that we are now going to expand things a bit and run a pretty loose "Camp"on the Friday before the Faire for any Shopbotters in the area.
    The Camp will be held at 9AM on Friday, July 30th. And the Maker Faire will be Sat/Sun July 31st/Aug. 1st.We're still getting the final details from the Faire team, and once we have some specific locations pinned down we will post them here. We're probably going to run from 9 until about 2Pm so those attending can wander about and see some of the other exhibits, etc.
    If you are interested in attending this Camp please drop me a note in the next few weeks so we can add your name to the list. We haven't been to this area in quite a while so we're hoping to see some old faces, as well as a bunch of new ones...
    Keep an eye on this thread for updates...!
    "Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality"...The Dalai Lama

"Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else....." Sir James Barrie

Default Detroit info

We will be holding the Camp portion of the Maker Faire at "Anderson Hall".
    As usual all Campers who attend on Friday will be given free tickets to the weekend Faire itself ( yes,you HAVE to be there on Friday ...).
    I've already received a few "RSVP's" from people indicating that they plan to attend, so if you haven't sent us an e-mail yet, please try to do so soon .This will allow us to make the proper arrangements for food, passes, etc.
    Ted Hall, Bill Young, Martha Barbour, Dave Minella, a few of the new tabletop machines, and myself will all be there for this one...

"Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else....." Sir James Barrie

Default But wait, there's more....

Just got a confirmation e-mail from James Booth. He will be at the Detroit Camp from about Noon until 2PM, so if you have ANY questions about using 3D models, Vectric software, etc. this might be a great opportunity...

Default Bonus

And just to note, tickets to Maker Faire Detroit includes a pass to The Henry Ford Museum...

Default Map of museum grounds

Here is a link to a good map of the museum grounds, as well as driving directions: http://www.thehenryford.org/pdf/TheHenryFordCampus.pdf

Default See you there...

Bill,

I'll be attending the camp in Dearborn on the 30th and look forward to meeting you, James, Ted and the others that will be there. I'm particularly excited to learn more about 3d modeling which should take my work to the next level.
    I'd also love to meet any other botters in the S.E. Michigan area and hear about what they are doing with their machines. To anyone considering coming from out of town, Greenfield Village is an amazing place with lots to see and do. If I understand correctly the admission price (FREE) to the Shopbot camp includes a pass to the Maker Faire and to the Village/Museum itself ensuring a full weekend of fun filled education.

Ron

Default Village

Ron,
    Thanks for the info on the Village, I'm hoping to actually get out of our booth and see some of it this time around.
    YES you are correct, those attending the Camp get a free pass to the Maker Faire, which also doubles as a pass to the museum. We've started to get RSVP's for this one, and if you plan to attend PLEASE contact me ASAP so we can accommodate everyone...

Default Parking info, etc.

From Dave M.

"We just got off the phone with the Maker Faire group:

Anderson Theater is a public access area, so there are no issues with getting in and out on Friday.

We should instruct the campers to park in the IMAX parking lot.
    We’re going to set up our morning coffee/donuts outside in the morning ( probably between 8:30 and 9 AM...) We’ll determine the actual spot once we arrive.
    Any campers arriving late should enter the theater through the IMAX entrance. That allows the most direct access to the theater.
    For lunch, we’ll most likely move the entire group to the Michigan Café, which is located inside the theater building. There’s a side room there that we should be able to commandeer."
    As with most Camps this fits into Bill Young's description of "organic organization" so we're going to try and cover as much ground as we can in the time/space allotted. If you are planning to attend and would like us to cover some specific area, ( OR if you plan to attend and haven't contacted us yet...) please drop me a note at;
    campshopbot "at"gmail.com Thanks !

Bill,
    Plan on attending the camp. Al kluge, You might remember me from John's f. camps.
    al

Default See you there.

Al,
    Thanks for the RSVP... See you there !