Thread: X axis gecko driver issue

Default X axis gecko driver issue

I have been having this issue on occasion where the x1 stepper motor will drop out. I believe the issue is with the driver because when i switch the plugs for the x1 and x2 motors the problem changes to the other side. I am running the 4g controller with the G202 drivers. The light on the gecko driver for X1 lights up only not as bright as the other 3 drivers. I am suspecting driver but want to get some more input before i go and buy one.

Thanks

Jeremy

Drop both X-axis motors down away from the machine and then send some X-axis move/jog commands. Both motors should turn equal amounts but in opposite directions (one will turn CW the other will turn CCW).

The G202 requires 15mA SINKING current on the step and the direction signals. Less than 15mA might work, depending on the interal opto-isolators, but 15mA is the stated requirement. Reading the step pulse would be difficult with ordinary multimeters, but you should be able to verify that the direction signal On a 5VDC circuit, a 330 ohm resistor will allow 15mA to pass. Connect one end of the resistor to +5VDC. Connect the other end of the resistor to the wire that goes to terminal #8 on the Geckodrive G202. (Leave the G202 terminal #8 unconnected.) Put your meter in series with the resistor and measure the current. It should be very close to 15mA. Change your meter to read voltage. Test the voltage and change the direction. One reading should be very close to 5VDC the other reading should be very close to 0VDC.

If all tests pass, the G202 is functional and the problem is something other than the G202.

Jeremy,

At this point, I would switch the possible bad gecko with the Y gecko and see if the problem goes to the Y.

Then you will know for sure.

ps, there was a guy selling them on ebay for pretty cheap a month or so ago. You may search geckodrive there and find him.

Kenneth
    Kenneth

Today i moved the X1 drive which was giving me problems to the z axis and it did the same thing.. So it looks like its a bad driver. is there anything that could be done to the driver like fuses or does it just need to be replaced? Also can a G203v be used in place of a 202?

Thanks

O just asked the question about the difference between the 202 and 203 and Mike Richards said that the they are not interchangeable

You can check with geckodrive.com to see if it is repairable or not. A new one is about 130 dollars I think.
    Kenneth

The G202 uses Active LOW signals. The G203v uses Active HIGH signals. You would need to use a $0.50 chip (7404 series) to invert the signals (and you would have to do some hand wiring).

The new G201X can use either Active LOW or Active HIGH signals.

Gecko Drive will more than likely fix or repair it for free if you can do without it for a while.

The G201X is a universal replacement with newer technology.