Thread: Caninet Door Reproduced

Default Caninet Door Reproduced

Here is a door panel, rails and stiles that I just cut for a customer. I had to reproduce a door that its mate hit the road at 70 mph and burst into a hundred pieces. The customer supplied the material. The original cabinet is a hand-carved antique that came from India. The cabinet is made out of Indian Rosewood. The customer said that the cheapest that he could find the Indian Rosewood is $35+ bft and is hard to find in the area. The customer found a substitute (can’t remember the name) for $17 bft but when he tried to stain it to match the original piece he just couldn't get it to match. The only wood that he could find to match the stain close enough was white oak. The texture of the white oak is somewhat the same but the color a whole lot lighter. He is having me cut 2 doors, along with the design in the rails and stiles.

I created the sunburst and the raised panel. The design in the middle is just v-carved with a 60 degree v-bit of the original design that I traced in Aspire. The flourish was created by James Booth and as usual he did a good job. The customer is going to do some hand carving around the flourish and sunburst to give it a hand carved look to match the rest of the cabinet. I plan to deliver it to the customer in the morning.

Material: White Oak
    Panel Size: 21 ¾” x 13 ¾”
    V-Carve: 60 degree v-bit, 14000 @ 3 ips and about 2 minutes to cut
    Roughing Cut: 3/8” endmill, 16000 rpm 3/8” per pass @ 5 ips and 45 minutes to cut
    Finish Cut: 3/16” ballnose, 16000 rpm @ 2.5 ips, Raster cut along the grain, 3 hrs and 10 minutes to cut
    Cutout: ¼” endmill, 14000 rpm @ 3 ips and less than a minute to cut

Rails and Stiles Size: Rails 26 7/8” x 3”, Stiles 20” x 3” extra length to allow for tenons.
    Rails Finish Cut: 1/8” ballnose @ 2.5 ips. 20 minutes per board, 2 boards, 2 design per board
    Stiles Finish Cut: 1/8” ballnose @ 2.5 ips. 30 minutes per 1 board, 4 designs per board

After thoughts:
    Carving the panel in white oak left a lot of fuzzes on the end-grain. Since the customer is going to do some sanding and hand-carving, I wasn’t that worried about some of the tool marks left from the 3/16” bit. If I had to do this for a customer that was just going to do a little sanding I would use a 1/8” ballnose to get a little more detail and maybe slow the cut speed down. The drawback to using the 1/8” ballnose is that it would increase the cut time to over 5 hrs per panel. Overall, I’m happy with the way everything came out. I showed it to my landlord, cabinet shop owner and customer. He mind went wild. Now he is wanting me to do some carved cabinet doors for him as samples.

I'll have the customer get pictures of the finished project to post later.

Stay tuned, the customer has another project to cut a raised design is a upper and lower panel. More designs created by James Booth. We are just waiting on the homeowners go ahead.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautifully done. My compliments.

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

Very nicely done, How did you come up with a price to charge for that? That is where i would be completely lost , as well as being lost on the design work, and not to mention lost on everything else about it.

Thumbs up

Very nice job.

I always like seeing door panels done well as I am a door guy...

Thanks for posting.

Gene
    Vector Studio 22

Dave Thanks.

Gene R., Who said I came up with a price? The price for 3D work is hard to figure. It really depends on the customer to. I had a customer a year ago or so that wanted me to carve a design that he created. It was a little over 2 hours cut time. He wanted me to do it for $20. I gave him my price and needless to say I never heard back from him.

Gene C., Thanks. I'll do my best to get pics of the finished project.

I'm working on another door panel project. One is 43" x 31" and the another is 31" x 10". Just waiting on the homeowner to make up her mind. She like the design but is slow to make decisions. The cabinet shop owner may have me cut a small sample to show her.

Andy B.

Question Curious what you charged for this job.

Stabbing at $60 per hour?

Anyone have any input on pricing for this type of work? Higher Maybe?

Bart,
    The design time on this job killed me. The cutting was the easy part. I just started the shopbot and let it go. The experience of re-creating the door was priceless. I've done 3D work for as low as $25 per hour and as much as $100 per hour. $60 per hour is great if you can get it. Customers don't understand the amount of time it take to cut 3D parts. I've had a guy call me that wanted some 3D medallions for $5 a piece. Each medallion was about 20-25 minutes to cut. I told him I couldn't do it for that. I think he may had contacted others on the forum and was just shopping around. My point is, get what the market yeilds.

Andy B.
    Andy Brooks
    Oak Branch Manufacturing and Assembly, LLC
    andy@oakbranchmfg.com
    770-540-9672
    www.oakbranchmfg.com
    PRTAlpha 48x96 w/ 5 HP Spindle

Very nice Andy. As a newbie seeing work like this always spurs me on to improve my skills. Keep posting!