Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Control software registering movement, shopbot just stops?

David,

You do not need to buy a new dust collection hose to add a ground wire. You can run a piece of thin copper wire through the hose and attach it to the metal of the dust collector and to the dust hose on you machine. It will take care of the static that is generated.

I will disagree with Nils on this one.

A wire inside is a place for stuff to hang up on.

I had taken apart mine with the wire inside many times to remove the rats nest of wood slivers that didn't make it through. It would eventually stop all flow of air.

Kenneth
    Kenneth

I'm with you Ken-You should not only not run a wire inside your DC Pipe you shouldn't screw it together either. Use rivets. If the type of hose you get needs to have ground inside then get different hose. You can do just fine in smaller shops by using the smooth snap fit type mentioned in another thread and also available at most plumbing supply houses.

Well after much deliberation, along with priceless counseling from my fellow shopbot family, my relationship with Mrs. ShopBot(Or Patunia as I have come to call my sensitive robotic companion)is on the up! I managed to acquire myself a dust collection hose with integral wire and I have managed to properly ground the hose. I have ran about 4 Partfiles, and all seems to be well. I was well aware of the challenges I would face when adding automation to my shop. As we all no everything is always easier in theory(even though my issue was actually a dummy mistake). I look forward to actually using my machine to produce snowboard cores for the up coming ski season. I am sure more issues will arise(hopefully not), and I will consult the forums again. Thanks for the help!

P.S. Im also with ken, spend the money and get the right equipment.

The thing that interests me is when you say the software still registers movement. That makes me believe you have a problem with the gears slipping on the motor shaft. With an Alpha I think the software is recording
    movement in motor feedback but with the stress of cutting the gantry stops but the motors are not. When aircutting there is no stress on the rack so it will move.Just a thought.

Gary

The feedback that the Alpha steppers return goes no farther than the drivers. The SB3 software has no idea where the machine is. It is not until the drivers tell the world that the steppers have not moved that the software knows. There is also a programmable timer in the driver to wait until some time before reporting this.
    Ed Lang
    PRS Alpha 48
    Techno LC4848
    Trotec Speedy 300 45W laser
    M-300 50W laser
    VLS4.60 50W laser
    Aspire V3

I have never used a USB hub, but is the one below a good example of what everyone suggests to help with comm problems?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26...ract_desc=null

Ryan - I would love to talk to you about snowboards sometime. I'm only into riding them for the time being. I always like good info on waxing, tuning and board shapes.

No problem, I can bable on like an old women about anything to do with snowboarding. Give me a call 808-230-0622.

So Ed, your saying that the steppers communicate feedback to the drivers, and for some reason the information is not being fed from the drivers back to the SB3 software, which created my issue that was somehow caused by a fault in my grounding? Is there not a constant communication from SB3-drivers-steppers-drivers-SB3? My PRT Alpha motors are closed loop ,correct, which I understood was a constant communication loop?

I have much to learn, I need to go to a camp or something and learn from a Jedi.