Thread: Backdrop Wall

Default Backdrop Wall

I need something similar to a tradeshow wall to display our big bat.

If you saw the bat at the Jamboree you know what I'm talking about, otherwise look at the last 2 images in this gallery. http://www.habitatforbats.org/?p=126&album=2&gallery=19

He is about 76" wide by 40" tall and fairly light weight. (blue foam with a 1/4" board backer). I can add hooks to the back as needed.

I have tried several ideas and they either get too complicated or to heavy. I was trying to imagine a way to use the linker log concept and some 1/2" ply to create many identical panels easily handled and stacked on a lay down handtruck. The panels would slot assemble on site. Everything I've come up with so far ends up with non-identical parts and/or too many of them.

(the default square tower is currently my only proven design)

I know I can build a quick display from 3/4" with panels, uprights etc... but carrying that half a mile through a crowd is a pain. Stacking panels on a cart would be a much better solution.

The goal is to be about 70" wide and 85" tall WITH the bat in place. Since the bat covers the upper 40" the wall would not have to go that high, but it could.

I had planned on using motorcycle straps to cynch it together if needed and anchoring with weight, tent stakes, extra folding table, small children... whatever I can find or have on hand.

Ideas?

/RB

So if I use 15" x 35" identical panels... how to attach them to form triangles and stack 5 levels high?

Now... with a flat section facing forward, add a 16 inch "wing" going 3 panels high on each side (to fill in the space under the bat)

That would give me 3 distinct but identical to each other pieces...
    15 side walls
    6 wings
    15 keys
    ??

tying in the thing together has be stumped...
    probably making no sense... sure wish I knew how to use sketchup right about now...

/RB

I had a similar problem coming up with a cheap/easy to transport/easy to setup/flexible booth design for Maker Faire in San Mateo, CA.

I ended up with 5 gal buckets from home depot as my base/ballast. The buckets nest inside each other for transport. On scene, they get filled with water and capped - weigh about 40 lbs a piece and I used 3 for a 8' long / 7' high display. The buckets are easy to wheel around on a hand truck/dolly.

I used 2 bungee cords around each bucket to attach a vertical pole - 1 1/4" metal conduit. The sides of the buckets are sloped, so you need a shim to get the poles to stand up straight.

I used 1/2 ply for the actual display. The ply gets holes drilled in it, for zip ties that hold the ply to the vertical poles.

You design for the front sounds a lot nicer and easier to manage, but I figured you might be interested in using the bucket/pole/zip ties...

By the way, if I did it over again, I'd trade the plywood front for Sintra/expanded PVC board. By the time you buy and apply primer and paint to plywood, the cost is about the same, and the results aren't nearly as good.