Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dust Foot revisit...

The dust foot being offered looks nice - and looks like Kent put some time & effort into it's development. Kudos to him for the time & effort he put into the R&D.

I'm curious as to why you guys haven't created an open source dust foot project that benefits the community at large. We all own CNCs and CAD/CAM perfectly suited for cutting out these parts.

What's in the way of cutting your own???

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Not everyone buys one.

Notice the bent wrench. Mine doesn't come apart to change bits, but the top wrench slips between the foot and Router. The bottom "custom" wrench is bent for the purpose. A 3 inch pvc adapter fits 4 inch DC hose very well.

I just grabbed some 1 inch brush strip from the big orange store, but I need to find some 2 inch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kenneth

If I was redoing mine, I'd have it so the nose of the foot came off - either with rare earth magnets or 2 short sections of t-rail and some thumb screws.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

The way I mounted mine on my PRS I used a piece of 3/8 X 1 inch aluminum and machined a groove in it and bent the end that holds the foot. I drilled and tapped the side of my z and use thumb screws to hold it. I can set it to the material and it stays constant it does not move up and down when the z does.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jerry,
    That's how the original PRT was setup. This made it so you could use dust collection on deep v-carving or 3D.

The newer dust foot that goes up & down with the Z is really an added layer of safety. It keeps the bit covered while in operation.

-B

I also have a PRT alpha and didn't have enough room for dust collection hose. I removed my Z from the center holes in the carriage and rotated Z 180 degrees and mounted it in the front holes. Also had to move the cable. This put the router basically in the same place it was in but I have plenty of room now for a dust hose. Bit changes may be a little more difficult but not enough to matter.

I worked around my prt with the z mounted in the middle. life would have been easier to move it back trying to get everything in was a pain. everything was in the way the shoe could not be very long or it ran into the front rail. the spring holder in back got in the way. and so on.

I have a PR with a setup something like that and liked how easy it worked. My PRS had the shoe that went up and down with the Z and it was a problem when it came to cutting thick material. you had to set it to high so the first passes the chips would not get sucked up if or if you set it for the first few passes then it would drag and hook on the final passes. This works very well for me because it always is set to the top of my cuts.