Thread: Inexpensive DIY remote control pendant

Default Inexpensive DIY remote control pendant

I just thought I’d let everyone know that the summer 2010 issue of Digital Machinist magazine has a great article on building a DIY remote control pendant for under $100. The article is generally intended for machinist but the basis of the controller is a keyboard emulator which means it can be used to control anything that uses keyboard shortcuts such as the ShopBot control software.

The article is filled with detail and Part Two will focus on adapting the unit to work with other control software. The unit looks perfect for those, like myself, that are looking for a hand held unit to control some of the ShopBot’s functions when we want to be close to the work.

There is an older assembled model that is available through the authors website at texasmicrocircuits.com. While that older model is not applicable to the ShopBot the video on that site will give you a good idea of the units’ capabilities. The newer DYI version – the MP2CP or MiniPendant (version 2)/ Control Processor – is the one that’ll work for us. Details of the unit and its construction can be found at texasmicrocircuits.com/Files/TMC-MP2CP-UG.pdf . The author has all the parts available through his website at what I think are very reasonable prices.

Take a look. It looks like a great device. I have no affiliation with either the author or the website. I just think it’s a great device and wanted to pass the information along.

Are you planning on buying one, trying it out & letting us know how it works on a ShopBot?

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

man that's a lot of stuff when you can just go buy a bluetooth keyboard and be done with it.

Actually Brady, I'm in the process of building one for my mill and plan to build another for my ShopBot when the second part of the article comes out. I was going to try and use a single device for both machines but considering the price, why compromise.

Keep us posted - I'd be interested in seeing how well it works. I messed around with keyboard emulation with the SB before - Everything from ShopBot's own remote pendant (2001), Logitech game controllers, and MAME/Arcade emulators. Wondering if this one is better since technology has come a long way...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Beckwith Decor Products, Derby/Wichita KS

Works very well for Mach don't see any reason why it wouldn't do the same with SB3.
    Bob Campbell (designs) has had the assembled unit available on his site for about a year or so at around 250 from memory.
    Beckwith Decor Products
    Caveco Distributor, USA
    Custom CNC Tooling/Onsrud Distributor

Got to say I can't really see any advantage over a Logitech Wireless gamepad which is a lot cheaper.