Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Post

Default My First Post

I have been reading this forum for a couple of years now trying to learn all I can about the Shopbot. I will be going to the wood show in Atlanta later this month and plan to spend most of my time at the Shopbot Booth.

I plan to retire soon and am thinking this would be a good time to buy a Shopbot. I have been in woodworking most of my adult life and I own an Epilog Laser Engraver purchased in 2004.

The PRS Alpha with a 4HP Spindle looks like a nice machine and will allow me to add the tool changer if I decide to use the Shopbot for production.

One application I have in mind for the Shopbot is to make items to donate for local fund raising events for seniors, children, churches or other worthwhile charities. This would allow me to enjoy making what I want to make at my own pace.

Any suggestions on the Shopbot purchase or ideas on projects will be much appreciated. I’m also sure there will be a lot of questions once I get the Shopbot and start using it.

Jerome

Good luck Jerome, The one thing you won't need is a tool changer.
    Not unless your doing production work, where time is money.
    I still don't have a vaccume hold down and most lilkely never will.
    I love my ShopBot. I'm a 1 man shop. John
    www.signgraphics1.com

Jerome:
    I have 2 Zs and find that 90% of the time that works just fine as a defacto tool changer.
    Steve G

Jerome,

Welcome to the group.

Save yourself some money and go with the 2.2hp spindle. By the sounds of what you are going to be doing that is plenty of power. You could also consider a router - if you don't mind the NOISE factor. BIG, BIG money savings there.

I run a cabinet/furniture shop as well as do a lot of 3D carving and cut bulk parts from MDF with a 2.2hp spindle and an air drill. Plenty of umph to get jobs done. I'm cutting 3/4" plywood at about 5" to 6" per second now. That enables me to turn a sheet of plywood in to parts ready to assemble in about 8 minutes. It takes longer to clear the parts from the table, blow all the chips off and load up the new sheet then it does to cut it. I don't feel comfortable pushing things any faster because the machine will flex to much and my accuracy will go down hill. I don't ever dream of hitting cutting speeds on this machine like they do on the big iron CNC's.

I do have a vacuum hold down and wouldn't trade it for anything - especially when milling and cutting LOTS of plywood.

I've found that high quality and sharp bits make the biggest difference in work quality. Once the bugs are worked out of the machine, the defining factor is the bits you use. You know the old adage - the right tool for the job.

Anyway, welcome again to the group. I'm looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labors.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

If you are ever going to be in southwest MO and want to see a PRS Alpha with a 4hp spindle and air drill let me know.

Default Thank You

Thank You, For Your Response To My first Post

John Arnott
    You are right about the tool changer, at least at this time. I am putting off my decision on the vacuum system for the time being.

Steve Glassel
    The second or third Zs sounds much more economical than the tool changer. I was looking at the 96-60 model so I think I would have room for an extra Z.

Don Thompson
    I guess the only reason I was considering the 4HP spindle is the price difference is so small and I have three phase in my shop. On the other hand the Shopbot would probably be easier to sell with the single phase spindle. Do you have any suggestions for router bits? I plan to work with mostly Hard Maple, Cherry and some Walnut.

Jason Rhodes
    We are planning a trip to Springfield if the weather ever breaks. According to the map you are only about 70 miles west of there. I would be very interested in visiting your shop.

Again Thank You for Your Advice

If you want to make something for charity there is a link and file to cut doll cradles on the vectric forum to pass out.

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7093

Jerome,

I'm midway between Rogers and Eureka Springs, AR, about 2 hrs south of Springfield and you're always welcome to drop by here too.
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

Jerome,

Centurian has some really good 1/2", 1/4" and 1/8" ballnose bits for carving. I've been using them for over a year and am very happy with them.

For plywood cutting, I would look at Centurians 1/4" and 3/8' mortise compression bits. These bits can do a spiral upcut and spiral downcut in one bit. Great way to get super clean edges on plywood and hardwood.

For table surface/large board flattening I would look at one of the Amana surfacing bits from Toolstoday.com. They have a good selection of bits.

For v-carving I would recommend a 90 degree 1/2" and 1/4" v-carve bit as well as a 60 degree 1/2" and 1/4" v-carve bit. They do a great job of v-carving letters. Centurian has these bits as well.

If you are planning on cutting large quantities of plywood/laminate/melamine I would get one of the DLC coated bits. Search for "DLC coated router bits" on amazon.com. More expensive, but they last a really long time and can cut lots of material before getting dull.

I hope this helps. By the way I also have the PRS Alpha 9660 with single Z and and air drill. So far it gets me through the day without to much fuss. I can process 4 sheets of plywood an hour into mortise and tenon cabinets parts ready to assemble. I can have all the plywood for a 20 cabinet kitchen cut in a day. I won't go back to the tablesaw for this back breaking work, that's for sure.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Jerome...
    Having owned a dual Z machine and now an ATC machine, I am now not so convinced that the ATC is really that more expensive, considering what you get. Especially for production cabinet cutting. Even more so if you have 3 phase power.

Using my dual Z machine for my example, in addition to the basic machine, and pardon me if I am off a few $ on my ballpark prices. You could add the following options:
    4hp spindle: $3500
    2hp spindle: $2600
    Dual Z : $2000
    2 drills: $3200

Thats Close to $11,500. for another $3500 you have the ATC, about the price for the 3rd and 4th drills also listed as options.

You will get a spindle that has more power thruout a larger power range and the ability to add tools as needed. Having used a dual Z machine I can tell you that "Its not the same!" as the ATC.

The tool tracking system in the ATC is far superior to what I had devoloped for my 4 head machine. This, and a number of other advanced features both add to my machining options and subtract from my former machine times.

With all that said, its still a bunch of money, and if you need to justify the expense, it may be better to add options as they are needed.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein