Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWF Atlanta

Default IWF Atlanta

Hi. I'm planning to attend the IWF in Atlanta in 3 weeks.

I have never been in a trade show so big, so if anyone care to share some tips about how to optimize time and effort and at the same time get the most information and knowledge out of it, I will greatly appreciate.

Carlos.

I don't know what you'll be looking for exactly, but since this is a shopbot forum, I'll assume you aren't looking for a $2,000,000 machining center.. so don't waste too much time staring at the huge machines, even if they have the 'WOW!!' factor.

Wear good walking shoes, make a list of your main concerns. Spend the first day (or two) going through fairly quickly making a list of "go backs". Hit your lists on the next day and don't get distracted.

Thank you for your answers.

Dave, I think that strategy could work for me.

Since there is a lot of materials and tools that you don't find locally, my list includes:

Power tools
    Cutting tools
    Materials like plastics or engineered wood

and the shopbot booth of course

Carlos,

I agree that you should wear comfortable walking shoes. This is very, very important.

Some other tips:

1) There is a fast food court in the CNN building right across the street. They have many, many choices for food and at reasonable prices. The only drawback is trying to find a table at exactly lunch time. The food court services that entire office building, and probably some of the neighboring buildings as well. But, if you take lunch a little early or late, it is an inexpensive alternative to the food vendors at the show.

2) Don't take handouts, especially catalogs, from vendors unless you really, really want them. You will find out very quickly that they are heavy. Ask that they scan your card and mail them to you instead.

3) Don't let anyone scan your card at their booth unless you want to be on their mailing list for a very long time. The vendors' goal is to gather the most names possible for their mailing list. The sales guys use the number of cards scanned as a measure of accomplishment. Your goal is to only get on the mailing lists that you want to be on. I often turn my card around so the sales guys cannot just walk up with their portable scanners and scan your card while you are wearing it. (The card is part of your name badge thingy.) Not too many sales guys are that rude, but some are.

4) If you do decide to collect some handouts, find a carry bag that has cloth handles, not the rope style. The thin rope will cut into your hands as the bag gets heavier. If you do start with a rope handle, don't be shy about ditching it later when you find a cloth bag. It is your hand that is hurting, not any one elses.

5) Make a plan. Use the small pocket guide or map that they hand out. I do not pick up the heavy exhibitor book to carry around. If I want that, I grab it at the end of the day.

6) I usually make a quick trip up and down the aisles in order. If I see something interesting two aisles over, I do NOT jump over there. I will get there during my planned pattern.

7) This year IWF is only in two buildings. They usually are in three buildings. A lot of the large "big iron" companies have pulled out the show. For us shopbotters, that probably does not make much of a difference. It was interesting to see how big some of those setups were. So, with only two buildings to cover, it will not take as much walking.

8) After you have covered the entire floor, sit down and make a plan to visit booths again that really are of interest. Circle their locations on your map. Then visit them in geographical order. This will make the trips shorter.

9) DISCLAIMER: I am a member of the Cabinet Makers Association.
    If you are a custom woodworker or cabinet maker, please stop by the CMA booth (I believe it is 1979, across the aisle from the Walzcraft booth) and see what they have to offer. They are offering a free workshop Wednesday evening. You can get details at the booth or at: http://www.cabinetmakers.org/2010_IWF_CMA_Events.html

By the way, I did NOT list the first 8 items just so you would read #9. I have been a shopbotter longer than I have been a CMA member. I wrote them because I believe in helping other shopbotters. So many have helped me.

Good luck at the show! You will enjoy it.
    Charles

If you are looking for deals, be sure to go on the last half of the last day.

A small back pack can be handy for your carry items and take aways. It beats a bag or cart.

Hearing protection, you'll find ear plugs a nice retreat at times.

Some kind of soothing throat drops / breath mints. When you are talking it will often be loud leading to a sore throat quickly.

It doesn't hurt to have safety glasses with you if you're looking at the kind of equipment that requires them. Just a peace of mind thing.

If you are prone to back pain and aches, a few small insta heat or cold packs (depending on what works for you) can go a long way.

Drugs - asprin / tylenol etc... any more than that I don't want to know about.

Time, bring plenty of it.

Might see you there. We have our list-o-questions and will be there at least 2 days.

/RB
    Last edited by harryball; 08-06-2010 at 07:52 PM.

I appreciate your time writing this advices.

Hope to meet some of you there

If you are planig on getting some stuff at the end of the show a fold up two wheel cart is nice. Remember that you can get some good buys after the show is over and you can dicker about the price. There are a lot of vendors that show their stuff and don't want to pack it up or it is out of the packing and can not be sold again. Good Luck

Now, that is a good thing to know

I'll be there Wed, Thur, Fri. Leaving Friday night. The last day tends to wind down little early.
    Tracy Spitulski
    KenCraft Co Inc.
    PRSa 6096
    www.kencraftcompany.com
    Hardwood Lumber, Custom Millwork
    Dust Collector Fittings