Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to a new shop!

Default Moving to a new shop!

I just got back from taking a tour of our new location - it is pretty sweet! We currently have enough room in our old shop but the layout is not that ideal, since now our graphics department is on two different levels and, right in the center of our warehouse, there is a large concrete block storage/bathroom area that really just exists to take up space. We'll start moving in the next couple of weeks and hopefully be in before mid August.

I'm sure it will still be 100 degrees here in Atlanta then (as it is now) once we start loading up the trucks!

Here are a few pics of the space and a quick layout (one of many that we have put together) of how we might organize the shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Larry Holbrook
    Team One Display Services
    http://www.teamoneexhibits.com/

Extra sweet Larry, congrats! We have the same problem in Austin with the heat, so I feel for you. Dubliner

Even though we all hate you now, congrats!
    You know I jest.

If you ever want a visitor, just shoot me an email.

As for the heat/cold...

One - I saw this on a DIY show somewhere, a guy built a shop from a metal building per what you would typically see, insulated etc... He then built another ag grade shell a little larger than the first completely covering it sides included. There was less than 3' of space from what I remember between the two but you could walk around it. He installed ventilation fans in the outer shell for summer but his real purpose was fighting the cold.

They showed a bunch of temp readings etc... In short it maintained a 20 degree difference inside to outside and slowed the heat transfer curve dramatically.

I've always thought when I build a shop I would not go to that extreme but I would install a cover several feet higher. i.e. my ideal shop is 40 x 60 so I would put a shed over it at 60 x 80. Nice overhangs, much cooler in the summer. I doubt it would help fight the cold without sides... and I might even do that if it was within my $$ scope.

Two - and maybe more applicable to your case. On a "green" show a small mfg installed solar panels on the roof and their power consumption dropped more than the power production of the panels could account. The final conclusion was the shade of the panels alone had reduced the heat transfer into the building lowering cooling costs significantly.

Moral - Shade is a powerful thing.

/RB

Thanks guys!

That's interesting about the heat. It makes sense though - any shade can make a big difference. I use to work at a restaurant in Athens, Ga. and on really hot days we had a sprinkler system on the tin roof to cool off the building - you could feel the change when we turned it on.

Currently, we have bay doors on four sides of the shop area so we get a nice crossdraft when they are all open. The new shop only has bay doors across the back wall - but their are several exhaust fans in the ceiling to pull the heat up and out.
    Larry Holbrook

Default electrical

So will you will have to drop some conduit down from above, or are there some floor outlets ?

I suppose we will see the new sign on the outside before long...

you have more square foot in your shop then i have in my house! i'm envious...

Congratulations on your location. From the pictures, it looks very prestigious. That is the exact kind of atmosphere you want to set for your corporate clients. Your booth displays are killer. Are you just going to specialize in trade shows or are you going to do commercial?

Curtis -Yes, we'll have airlines dropping down from the ceiling but the way we have it laid out we'll only have to drop electrical in one or two places. A couple of the support beams have electrical panels - the Shopbot will actually be right next to one of these beams - and many of our power tools will be located along one side wall which is already wired.

Kevin - Thanks! While our main focus is trade show exhibits we also build backdrops for TV sets, retail interiors, and front office displays.
    Larry Holbrook

Your shop makes mine look like a broom closet. Hope you enjoy the new space.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

We've been busy - 16 semi truck loads and several flatbeds and we are now in the new shop!

Now we just have to get everything organized again. Here are a few moving pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Larry Holbrook