View Poll Results: Vote TWICE (Once in top 3, Once in Bottom 3)

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have no need to use additional bits

2 10.53%
  • I would use more bits, but dont want to rezero to top

5 26.32%
  • I would use more bits, but Man. Tool Change is hassle/doesnt work

8 42.11%
  • I think zeroing to top of material works fine

6 31.58%
  • I would prefer to zero to bed or block, if supported

12 63.16%
  • I tried this, but it doesnt work well for me

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: REDO of Last Poll, I promise

Roger:
    Let me pass on some things that I would hear if I ran with bit changes and flip ops:
    "Whoops-I forgot to re-zero the bit"
    "Since I'm changing bit's so often I need to just stay here and watch the machine"
    "Whoops-I lined up the board the wrong way"
    "Whoops-I forgot to change the vacuum zones"

Now: If I am using blind mortise and tenons then all cabinet sides need to be cut from the face and to achieve the tenon the bottoms, stretchers, and nailers need to be cut from the back. If I am just cutting butt join parts then all can be cut from face side. The only thing I would be flipping a part for that I can dream of is to do a bit of predrilling for assembly screws. If instead of confirmat or plain drywall, I use cutter head #6 1 5/8" cabinets screws (which we do now) then I don't need a predrilled hole. They self countersink. That's my thoughts on it anyway-Now you can tear it apart!!

Dave,
    With a little training even your guys could do flip ops, I don't know about bit changes.
    Blind dado construction is a different beast then butt joint. Not even the same ball park.
    Much higher end product. And besides almost anyone you pick off the street can assemble blind dado cabinets. With the assembly marks I think a blind person can do the assembly.
    I used glue and staples, sometime zip screws, finished ends just glue and clamp.
    If I wanted to build and sell butt joint cabinets I don't think I would need a CNC to cut them.
    With a few procedures in place your guys will be cutting, edgebanding and assembling faster then you know.
    But you do need a drilling setup so you don't have to change bits.

Dave...
    RE: your "Now" paragraph

Agree on the face up/down orientation. eCabs makes little or no provision for single side or difference in sides materials. User work around is by sheet names.

New "Flip Ops First" option should reduce both time and complexity of double sided machining. Sheet promps tell operator to load face up or down. You will have to add pilot holes to sides but not full depth to force drill on flip side.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Gary:
    Thanks for info-last night I was thinking that since the purpose of the flip op is simply marking the board it makes more sense to mark the whole board and then flip and cut.

Roger: For our work it is not about making our cabinets more high end but making them easier and more timely to assemble. Our typical projects have many more boxes than the normal kitchen and commercial pricing is extremely competitive. One of my competitors is trying to Ace me with pricing of $95/ft per box on a job. I have done 100% of this GC's work for years and the other guy is being forced down his throat by the developer. My client knows their work is inferior but he's not about to jeopardize his contract either.

Dave....
    Forget high end. I know your market. Roger is correct, the blind dado cabs go together much faster. In most cases, they hold themselves together while you reach for a screwgun or stapler. In your case (and in many others that do post assembly lam or vener applications, there will be redundant operations due to the lack of side selections.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein