Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNC Bit Organizer

Default CNC Bit Organizer

Hey guys, I have only had a cnc machine for a few months or so and would like to make something to organize my growing bit collection. I think it is kind of scrunched together which might make grabbing bits hard (especially with my fat clumsy fingers) but I wanted to keep it somewhat compact.

I think I covered the most common bits? Maybe not everything....but it should be good enough. The plan is to cut this path and attach this piece to some angled pieces of wood and attach it to a wall so the face sits angled out at the bottom.

What would be a good bit to make all of those hole cuts? For the v-bit portion i figured on a 60deg. 1/4".

I will attach the file to what I have in mind, as well as a jpg. Feel free to tweak it out to your liking. If you do tweak it maybe post your file so others can check it out.

Screen Shot:

38820.jpg
    Larger Screen Shot...
    http://www.vectric.com/forum/downloa...&mode=view

crv3D File (aspire):
    http://www.vectric.com/forum/download/file.php?id=9284

This was also posted on vectric.com obviously, the thread is here:
    http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4978

I just tried to get this made for vcarve pro/partworks, but i can't copy it over from aspire

Just looking at this, a suggestion...if you have profile bits that might be larger (I have some like barley twist that are 3" diameter) you might want to space your holes further apart for them or make a seperate board for larger profile bits.

You might also want to give each bit a number (on the board) or some way to identify it, and keep a corresponding notebook (paper or electronic) that lists details like where you got the bit, stock#, etc. It makes re-ordering a lot easier down the road.

I found I needed far less 1/8" bit holes then 1/4" and the same with the 3/8" 1/2" i have the most of and as others have said get some spaces around at least some of the 1/2" even the others could use a bit more I think it saves cutting your fingers.

also I find it is good to have a part of each marked for used or new bits.

Would it be better to use foam and just push the bits into the foam?

Replace the foam when needed.

RB

Richard - Now what fun would that be!
    We are botters and so the process goes like this, 2 hours for design, 1/2 hour for machining, 1 or 2 hours finishing, and OH yes I forgot the 8 to 10 days prior to discuss the whole thing!
    And all you want to do is just 'push em' in some foam! Goodness!
    I love this forum! Russ

Thats funny!

Just a heads up here: If you have downloaded the file for the bit organizer, do yourself a favor and don't cut it yet. The diameters are wrong. I made pretty much all of them too big. I thought I would want them a little oversize for easy fitting, but I went too big. ops:

Let's see what else... Well it's pretty cool other than the screw up on the diameters. I cut an alternative out today specifically for my bits and accessories, like my Super Zero, collet wrenches, collets, etc.

I might have to do another if this doesn't work out. I'm giving it a test run tomorrow. Oh, I spelled "accessories" wrong to (dropped an "s") ops:

38879.jpg

The only constructive criticism I would make is that it looks like you have this mounted below the surface of your table. Besides being in a location where you might poke a vital organ I would think you would want it in a location at eye level or work level, even if its not right at the table. other than that, I think it is a clever idea. I have mine laying in a drawer in their cases but you could adapt this for use in a drawer if you have the room. Good job!

Looks like you forgot to order the bits! Nice Job!