Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: indexer/lathe combo for under $1K

@blackhawk; Great set up! I have a few ASM911AADC2.65v motors and drivers leftover from my upgrade to ASM98AA-T7.2 motors and drivers. If I were to use the original ASM911AADC2.65v motor and driver to control the lathe, do you think its possible to source a pully set and timing belt combo to reduce my servo motor's rotation from 1:1 to 20:1 like Brady Watson suggests?
    Does anybody have any experience with this, or could suggest a source?

Thanks, Jon

Jon - The belts and pulleys come from mscdirect.com. Just go on there and look to see if they have a pulley combination that will work for you. The part numbers that I used are in this thread if you search back several posts.
    PRT Alpha with 7.2 upgrade, indexer, and PC router

Very helpful info Brad, thanks for taking the time to document & share it! I'm looking into setting up a lathe/indexer just like yours on my PRTalpha, but I've got to bring myself up to speed with a few technical items first. Hopefully some of you guys can enlighten me a little.

1) Gear ratio: I believe you said yours is 3.6:1, and in other posts people have mentioned using 5:1 and 18:1. Can anyone explain the consequences (other tan smaller steps & higher speeds) of these to me? Is it simply a matter of configuring the SB control software to match the gearing I want/have?

2) Motor, driver & cables: My X, Y & Z axes use Vexta ASM911AA motors with ASD30E-A-B1 drivers. I believe you used an ASM98AA motor and an ASD30A-A driver. I've been quoted a price from Shopbot for new motor, driver & cables, but because I'm in Canada the shipping & the current exchange rate make it fairly pricey. And it seems like Oriental has discontinued that exact motor, but I don't understand the significance of the part #'s, so maybe it's not important anyway. Can I just use the same motor & driver as you?

3) I could buy the ribbon cable and motor extension cable from Shopbot like you, but if I use the same motor/driver as you, would you be willing to share your "certain combination of resolution settings to get the drive working correctly" that Shopbot helped you with?

Keep up the good work eh.
    Daren

Daren - Below are some answers for you.

1) The higher the gear ratio, the higher your resolution will be. You will also gain more torque. The drawback is that you lose speed at the indexer. You would really have to investigate the speed/torque curve of the motor and calculate your cutting torque to gain a real understanding. I think anything between 3 and 10 would be fine.

2) You may have to use the ASM911AA and ASD30E-A-B1 on yours since this matches what your currently have. I am not sure that you can mix in different drives in the control box. You could check with Shopbot. You can find these on Ebay most of the time.

3) You are going to need the ribbon cable and extension cable no matter what you do. The easiest way is to buy these from Shopbot. You'll spend way more time and money trying to get them elsewhere or make yourself. The resolution settings don't have any thing to do with the cables. These are calculated numbers based on your setup. Here is a link of an old post that I had that will help you some. http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...ght=resolution

Thanks for sharing what you know about this with me Brad. It's obviously much more than I do, but like most of these things, once you've learned it they're actually pretty straight forward. I just noticed that Jon in BC said that he's got a few of the same motors as I do left over, so I'll see if he wants to part with one of them.
    Cheers

Hello Don what model Rikon lathe did you use for your setup. I know this is an old thread thanks Don

I used the 70-100 model Rikon lathe. Brad