Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: indexer/lathe combo for under $1K

Brad,

Do you have the part numbers for the pulley and the belt?

Thanks,
    Gerald

I bought both pulleys and the belt form MSC Industrial Supply. They are common parts, so any industrial supplier should carry them. The MSC part numbers are 35375864, 35376003, and 35369743. You can punch these numbers in on their website and it will bring up all the specs. mscdirect.com

Thanks Brad. I'll be ordering them today.

Gerald

Brad which indexing motor did you buy off ebay and did you have any trouble setting it up with your shopbot. Thanks Don Hunter

I bought an AS98AA drive/motor package that included an ASM98AA motor and an ASD30A-A driver. I had to buy a ribbon cable and motor extension cable from Shopbot also. I was able to get both to work with a little help from Shopbot tech support. I had to use a certain combination of resolution settings to get the drive working correctly. I had no problems with the motor.

Shopbot buys their drives from Oriental with special programming, so if you buy a drive from somewhere else there are a few differences. Like I said, I played around with my drive and got it to work fine. You can also send the drive to Shopbot and they can program it to their standards for around $15.

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

I wonder how much the motor / driver and electrical hook up items are from shopbot? I like this lathe setup that is a lathe as well as an indexer

As Dana said early on in this thread:
    "Supposedly "someday", SB is supposed to release a software update that allows the indexer to just have an RPM, so it can do both jobs directly."

It has been a year or two since this has been talked about with no action so far (as I know)...so if you are thinking about setting up an indexer i'd go ahead and setup a lathe motor rather then waiting for the software update lol

I cant remember the thread but there was talk of the motors getting very hot after an extended run time. That is why i would prefer this type of setup . Then you use the lathe motor for its designed purpose turning anr roughing to a cyclinder and the indexer motor for its designed purpose of small incremental turning . I am NOT a very mechanical person for trouble shooting so if the electrical came from shopbot and the rest from another suppiler , or both from shopbot then i would feel more secure with this type of setup
    I hope that makes sense

Gene,
    I don't think that we are talking about an extended turning times to complete most of these parts. If you go to this video:
    http://www.legacycncwoodworking.com/demo-videos/
    go down to:
    Turning Demo - Combining machining, turning and carving techniques
    and watch the way those turnings are made with a large diameter core box bit you'll see the stock isn't turning any faster then on a shopbot and this to me is a far faster and superior cutting strategy for symetrical turning then with a small bit running up and down the piece bumping one degree at a time, ect.
    And the finish is almost good enough to not have to sand the part. I have made parts on my manual legacy that can be done faster then on the shopbot (in some cases).

I have a legacy with the motor for turning the parts but i havent used it in a long time. They sure have came a long way with their machines. I like the auto change spindle . that could save alot of time .