Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: indexer/lathe combo for under $1K

I have a 900 with the turning motor prox switches and just about every add on they had at the time. I'd like to sell the whole shootin match. I've been trying to figure out how i could adapt my rotating table to the indexer.

Default Table setup

Hey Donald,

That does look great. I've been needing an indexer and that looks just the treat. Two things though,

Is that a playstation controller I see in one of your pictures?

Also, what type of hold down system are you using for your table?

Phil

Brad, I am working on an indexer that is going to be setup like yours. Could you show more pictures of how you have the plywood mounted to the Shopbot that the lathe is mounted on and also of how you have the stepper motor mounted to the lathe?

thanks,
    Doug

Doug - Here are a couple of pics. The first one shows how I attached the plywood deck to the Shopbot legs. I used two pieces of uni-strut and attached one to the front and one to the back of the Shopbot legs. I just bolted down through the plywood into the uni-strut. I was just barely able to get a nut up inside the uni-strut.

The second pic is a 3D view of the CAD model that I used to setup the motor mounting. The dark grey 90º motor mount was purchased directly from Oriental Motor for less than 20 bucks, well worth it. The base plate in light grey was machined by me on a Bridgeport knee mill. I drilled and tapped holes into the Rikon lathe and then bolted the base plate down to the lathe with 4 socket head screws. I have a dimensioned drawing of the base plate if you are interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the pictures Brad and I would appreciate the drawing of the base plate. I am going to need any help I can get.

I wanted to thank Brad for shareing all the info , I'm also in the process of putting togather a lathe / indexer , Just waiting on the motor mount from Oriental motor . I needed to extend the X aluminum extrusions and rails 8 inch to clear the cnc table . I also enlarged the pulley bore on both to make fit the shafts , I machined the 3/8" thick aluminum plate that the stepper mount will attach to , on the cnc with a .250 up cut end mill @ 3" a sec. & .003 step down ,
    LATHE.jpg

PULLEY.jpg

needed more room
    EXTENSION.jpg

RAIL.jpg

What's nice about using a lathe is that it has a real headstock with bearings suited for turning. I never liked the idea of relying on the stepper's gearbox bearings to take all the thrust & radial loads.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Hi guys. I just finished installing a Harbor Fright lathe and am very unhappy with the piece of junk. should of known better. How do you guys running the Rikons like it when running it as a cnc lathe. How deep of a cut and at what speeds are you running? My current project is a good size spindle from 4x4 cedar. talk about tear out!!! I'm just trying to get everything dialed in and have the Rikon on the way. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance ,Kurt

Hi Bob Can I ask where you got the added rail from. I like to move my indexer father out the back like your. so I need to extend my rail like you.
    thank frank