Thread: Pressure Pot Paint Sprayer...

Default Pressure Pot Paint Sprayer...

I've researched pot sprayers and we visited several mfg at the IWF. I've wanted one of these for a while but 1) didn't know if it would spray thick latex paint and 2) they were very pricey esp. for an unknown.

I demo'd one, it actually sprayed Duration latex paint (very thick) with finesse. Almost down to airbrush levels. Able to sit the 1 gallon can in the sprayer thus no messy tank to clean. Can recapture the paint from the hose easily, clean up is straight forward and quick making color swaps fairly simple.

I bought this setup for $550. Tank, hoses and gun. Special until the end of September or until they run out. Sherwin Williams quoted me $825 for the setup. I have priced several of these in the past 2 years, never found one under $700 with a good gun and stainless steel fluid path. I priced just the gun, $280.

If you're interested Email tebyrd@airpower-usa.com

No affiliation.

/RB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Robert...
    Nice setup. I am sure you wont be sorry. If you can find liners for your pot... use them. They sure keep the inside nice and clean.

We have a couple similar units from C.A.T. One with an air stir and one without. Never let the hose sit without liquid in it. (Dont ask)
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

You can't beat Binks at any price and anyone who tells you different is a rep for a different company!!

Been playing with the thing, really nice. There is a liner in it and for us it'll last forever. I was thinking about flushing the hoses with a quick blast of air before putting them up. Sounds like a good idea and now I know.

/RB

Robert - I've been researching HVLP spray guns with the attached cup. I never that about using a pressure pot. Are there any other advantages other than being able to drop in the gallon bucket?

Would this setup work for lacqer or shellac finishing? Can you get different size tips?

we have used our binks pot (laquer) for a good five years with the same liner!!

jim

How does this compare to HVLP sprayer? Is overspray about the same?

The pot sprayer can have several different guns, the one I have is an HVLP gun. I have and have used an HVLP gun with the cup. I was unable to get thick liquids through it, the cup was always in the way and you can only hold it upright. (there is a new product by 3M however that has a bladder inside the cup. It can turn upside down and it does retrofit)

I also have an airless sprayer, no comparision. It is forsale btw.

I was impressed with the ability to control overspray. You do have overspray, but if you wish to turn the amount of material down and take a little longer (more passes) to paint the overspray was remarkably controllable. Keep in mind I sprayed a thick liquid, I don't see why it would not apply to thinner material though.

Clean up is a learned process, but it is relatively simple. It is also simple to change colors (waterbased) by just flushing the lines with water and starting over. Paint recovery is easy.

Since we paint in small volume with large time gaps during the day for drying another bonus was the ability to just leave the paint in the pot. It is all sealed so it's no different than being sealed in the can. We ran air only through it to clean the nozzle wiped it down and left it. When we came back, just run some liquid through, start spraying again.

All in all, I think it will do very well for us.

/RB

Did anyone else grab one of these?

This thing is as good as sliced bread! We've been using it, paint control is great, overspray is minimal and a simple plastic paint booth with fan keeps it clean. Paint usage has also dropped despite overspray vs. rollers and brushes. Being able to setup in the morning and paint every hour... or two for 10 minutes and walk away is fantastic. No more putting brushes and rollers in the fridge or cleaning them between paint sessions (all of which wastes paint). Cleaning is a snap, setting the paint bucket in the pot makes cleaning the actual pot a quick wipe down with a rag. Flush some hot water through, then hot soapy water, spend a few minutes on the gun and you're good to go.''

A few points. This HVLP gun was expensive by my standards, the next most expensive gravity feed HVLP gun I have was $100. Total garbage next to this thing. Patience in learning goes a long way. Use an inline air filter / water filter just before the pot even if you have clean air. You never know what might be going on in the hose after your main filter.

If you paint, you should really take a look at one.

/RB