Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ToyBox

Rob-

I took your drawings of the toy box and put it into artcam, I then tried a 2d profile to make a toolpath and it keeps coming up with a half circle as the toolpath, instead of the square. I was wondering if you used artcam and could give me some advice. Thank you for sharing the design

Thanks
    Nikki

Robert,

I have cut and assembled that joint with a plug cutter, copeing saw and a drill in a drill-press in pre-shopbot daze.

Ron

Ron,
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I’m the type of guy that wonders about historical processes and techniques. On the antique drawer that I have the joint looked very precise and I wondered if they stacked the parts and ran the drawer sides on a molder to cut the profile on the ends and then took to a drill press etc., I am impressed with what someone can do with a handsaw.
    Thanks ,
    Robert

Dusty Knobel (Unregistered Guest) Guest

Robert, I'm a furniture maker, and recognize the joint above as a Knapp joint. Google shows a couple of historical references, Apparently it was only used between 1870 and 1900, and fell out of use because it looked too machine-made.

Dusty Knobel (Unregistered Guest) Guest

Robert, I'm a furniture maker, and recognize the joint above as a Knapp joint. Google shows a couple of historical references, Apparently it was only used between 1870 and 1900, and fell out of use because it looked too machine-made.

Dusty,
    Thank you for the historical references. My wife inherited a Victorian piece of furniture, and not being any kind of expert on the period I figured it to be late 1800's. Their story was that great grandma "So & So" brought it out west in a covered wagon. I told them that maybe some other piece of furniture might of came by wagon but this piece came out on a train, and that really ruffled some family feathers over the cherished story. I am glad to learn more about the Knapp joint and it's brief appearence in furniture history. I agree with others that is an atractive feature on a draw box I guess that is why I had to cheat and test it out on a CNC. My hat is off to Ron and others who have done it by hand and hand cut dovetails for that matter.

Thank you every one for their input.