Thread: Sign Blanks?

Default Sign Blanks?

I needed some help. I am only a CNC hobbyist (dont own a CNC business) and I have made several projects since i got a CNC in 2008. I did'nt really want to venture out into cutting expensive wood sheets until i knew what i was doing. I have only used 24" x 36" pine sheets they sell at your local home centers. My experience with making signs of pine has been some good and some bad but i believe its now time to step up the quality ladder.

I have absolutely no wood working experience prior to the CNC and am finding it difficult to find anywhere sheets of domestic wood in the 24" x 36" size range since i have a shop bot buddy. My first question is, is wood like cherry, maple, oak, cedar, walnut available in that size range? If so where and how can i get it? - I live in Orlando, FLorida
    If not, how do i go about gluing up boards of cherry to make the 24" x 32" size. Not all my work is that big, but i am sitting on a request to make a sign that big.

What would be a good speicies of wood to start of with?
    I would appreciate all the help i could use as an amateur.

Default Cedar blanks

I've had good luck with these pre made sign blanks. They can be shipped anywhere in the country by any sign supplier.
    http://www.allwoodsignblanks.com/
    "Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality"...The Dalai Lama

"Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else....." Sir James Barrie

Most cabinet door manufacturers would be happy to make glued up panels, already sanded and ready to carve. Look for one or two that are closest to you. Not to take the enjoyment out of it, but I find I can buy panels for much less than I can make them when you include the labor.

I have had luck with http://www.wooddealsonline.com/ just click on the wood you want on the list to the right and it will bring up all the wood on EBay that’s up for sale. It’s must faster than searching on EBay itself.

Another place is http://www.perfectplank.com/index.html they are slow, I think they only ship out on Fridays, but the wood I got was good.

Another thing I did when I first started out was I posted any ad on craigslist for other wood worker to help with my panel work. I got help in less than a day. and it brought in some other work.

Good luck

I dealt in the past with an outfit near you:

http://www.eaglebaywood.com/about.html

Quote Originally Posted by beacon14 View Post
    Most cabinet door manufacturers would be happy to make glued up panels, already sanded and ready to carve. Look for one or two that are closest to you. Not to take the enjoyment out of it, but I find I can buy panels for much less than I can make them when you include the labor.
    This would by my choice. They have frequency glue machine, wide belt sander etc. In my opinion you will buy cheaper glued up boards then lumber its self.
    But if you want to learn and do it your self more power to ya.
    100% MADE IN TEXAS! It's not part of China partner.....

Thanks all for your input, you guys have saved me a ton of research time... gonna make some calls and find a cabinet shop that can make em for me. got 2 projects due monday! gotto work something out.

Dave - I will give them a call, they are not to far from me. Thanks!

Shawn N,

Check your local lumber stores for S4S boards. They are surfaced on all 4 sides, and can be easily glued up. All it takes is some glue and clamps. May be cheaper than the cabinet shop, and really doesn't take much time. I've done a lot, and taking a bit of time, with well selected boards, you can even match the grain...

Ron
    Ron Sloan

I seem to remember there are only a few types of wood that will survive outdoors. Perhaps I should also mention quarter sawn lumber is prefered. I like cleates too.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com